Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

01 f250 4x4 ball joint removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Smile 01 f250 4x4 ball joint removal

been researchin removal of ball joints of both upper and lowers on net, and have been unable to come to a conclusion on whether they can replaced or the whole arm has to be replaced. If anyone has ever had to remove and replace them your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanjs in advance for any help!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Little unclear..

Ball joints on the spindles? (since you said upper/lowers).. Not tie rod end joints or links? By 'arm' you mean the spindle?
The upper/lower spindle 'or' axle ball joints are pressed into the spindle assembly.. To remove the spindles you need to first remove the brake caliper and rotor, the caliper anchor, tie rod end attachment, 4x4 locking hub, then the wheel bearing hub, remove axle shaft, and then you can access the lower ball joint nut.. Both the ball joint nuts face upwards and the spindle needs to drop off and out of the taper bore ,thats why the axles need to be removed.. Once the spindle is removed the ball joints can be pressed off.. Is this an ESOF 4x4? When replacing the ball joints replace them with greasable units, and highly recommend that you reseal the axle dust and hub bearing seals when the axle is out.. You may notice both the inner wheel hub seal, and the axle dust seal with a loose portion tumbling around the axle.. I can send you some info for the job, but does require some specialized or improvised tools to complete..

Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Ford Super Duty f250 4X4. thanks for help! had new tires replaced and was able to move lower ball jts approx 1/2 inch (play). Used to own many ford mavericks and was always replacing front end parts on them. have chiltons book on this year for 99-06. book does not give any info on b.j. removal or replacement. I recently replaced front brakes and rotors on truck because of guide pins that had seized up and only one pad was working (grabbing). When you stated about ESOF I am not sure of abbreviation of that.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

ESOF is 'electronic shift on the fly'..

Not a terrible job to complete, but,

You'll need a press available or a shop to press off/install the ball joints on the spindles..
The wheel bearing 'hub seals' as well as the axle tube 'dust seals' should be replaced so not to have any issue later on, or repeat the work.. More so for 'ESOF' 4x4 vacuum activated hubs if the large wheel hub seal should bleed/leak vacuum due to wear, or a damaged seal install.. The wheel hub seal is a tight fit on the outer axle stub/yoke and is best to press the new seal in place, over driving them on.. They are 4 1/2" in diameter, and a tad pricey so you don't want to damage them during a hammer install and easy to do it forced on and into position without the correct driver The axle,, with the 2 seals already installed on the shaft is then installed into the spindle bore and set at a depth of 1 1/4" and 'square' to the spindle face.. The large wheel hub seal depth is important as it sets the axle placement/depth correct for the inner axle seal (diff), axle tube dust seal, and the wheel hub seal.. Also correct placement to install the stub axle snap ring without a fight..

There's no gear lube leak out of the axle tube bore,, correct?

If you want to do the work, probably the easiest way would be to do it in steps, with some illustrations where needed....

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM

thanks for all your help/ got a press available here in town at Auto Zone. was wandering if ya have ever seen a pictorial illustration view(s) of ball joint removal on internet or were it may be possible to find them. My neighbor is going to help us and he has had alot of experience with the old fords. It seems to me ya must have done this a time or two yourself with all your knowledge. Another question I assume we will need a fork to remove tie rods as well. The truck has lock outs as well ESOF. Thanks again for all your help and probably gonna attempt to start on Mon. 2/16 after work.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sent PM

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Default Ball joints

Hayapower,
i read your post, very good. I am changing my ball joints upper lower on my 03 f250 4x4. Pics would answer a couple questions, could you send me that link?

Thanks ,
mark

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mark, Welcome to the site..

Email me and I'll send you what's available.. It may help to send you past emails that may help with your questions, or add to them BTW, what are the questions?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply hayapower, i found what i needed on ford-trucks.com/forum. I took both driver and passenger sides off and had the new joints pressed on by a friend at ford. Went pretty smooth, took me about a total of 5 hours for both sides, excluding parts & (beer) runs....
Thanks again,
mark

Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Good deal..

Quick Reply: 01 f250 4x4 ball joint removal