Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1988 F350 Diesel no power and no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 03:45 PM

So ive had some time without workin on the truck, just started workin on it again, replaced all 8 glow plugs, and now my wait to start light wont come on, and i just realized my batteries are draining fast, not too sure on what to check next

Old 07-30-2023, 04:54 PM

Your batteries have to have a good charge and hold it, I have found is one battery that Idi will not start. Have your batteries tested

Old 07-30-2023, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Old Fart
Your batteries have to have a good charge and hold it, I have found is one battery that Idi will not start. Have your batteries tested
i boight brand new batteries for it about a month ago, they kept a charge ehough to crank it for about 10 times cranking it over, after that id keep the cables hooked up from my other vehicle, also with a brand new battery, to keep then charging everytime i would go to try to start it again, everytime i would be done trying dor the day i disconnected both batteries so they wouldnt drain, i hooked up my jump starter pack to it today and just watched the batteries drain out the battery on the jump pack and itd crank like it should, but that pack was dead after about 30 minutes being hooked up, where normally itd be at 70 or 80% still, only thing i have changed was the glow plugs

Old 07-30-2023, 06:24 PM

disconnect the power cable from the battery to the glow plug controller and see if that stops the drainage from the batteries if it does the controller may be bad.
if that is your drain replace the controller before it burns your glow plugs up.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:36 PM

I just replaced the glow plug control module and relay, still have power draw somewhere, and still wont start, the relay for the glow plugs will just sit there and click until the timer in the module is done, wait to start light will come on for a second, just barely long enough to see it, but thats it, im just wondering what to look at next

Old 08-11-2023, 03:26 PM

Have you checked the glow plugs? three bad plugs will make it hard to start or not start at all.
Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors? by loosening each line while someone cranks the engine?
You may have to test the compression this is done using the glow plug holes, special adaptor and a special ( high pressure gauge )
I don't know what the minimum pressure should be.
Has this truck ever ran since you have owned it?

Old 08-20-2023, 01:40 AM

Have you checked the glow plugs? three bad plugs will make it hard to start or not start at all.
Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors? by loosening each line while someone cranks the engine?
You may have to test the compression this is done using the glow plug holes, special adaptor and a special ( high pressure gauge )
I don't know what the minimum pressure should be.
Has this truck ever ran since you have owned it?
i have replaced all 8 glow plugs already, also replaced the relay and control module for the glow plugs, my injector pump is working, i just put in an electric fuel pump to bypass the mechanical one, my wait to start light comes on fir a second, then goes back off and the relay just keeps clicking until its timer is done, i bought the truck a month or 2 ago and ive never seen it run, trailered it home

Old 08-20-2023, 05:36 AM

The clicking is called after glow and is normal
At this point it sounds as if the engine cranking speed is too Slow or the compression is too low
Slow cranking speed could be #1 batteries are too low
#2 poor grounds
#3 battery terminal/s dirty or the cable is loose in a terminal
#4 one bad battery
#5 bad starter
#6 low compression which could be cause by any of the above or by bad rings or valves. you check the compression using a DIESEL comp, gauge and adapter remove all glow plugs for the test.
You cannot tell if the engine is cranking fast enough by ear!!!, Google: 220 rpm or above.
I think your best bet is to take the truck to someone that has the equipment to check it out.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:06 AM

The clicking is called after glow and is normal
At this point it sounds as if the engine cranking speed is too Slow or the compression is too low
Slow cranking speed could be #1 batteries are too low
#2 poor grounds
#3 battery terminal/s dirty or the cable is loose in a terminal
#4 one bad battery
#5 bad starter
#6 low compression which could be cause by any of the above or by bad rings or valves. you check the compression using a DIESEL comp, gauge and adapter remove all glow plugs for the test.
You cannot tell if the engine is cranking fast enough by ear!!!, Google: 220 rpm or above.
I think your best bet is to take the truck to someone that has the equipment to check it out.
I have replaced both batteries, so i know those are good, both ground cables are questionable and they get pretty warm while cranking, i did notice the cab light inside will dim while cranking as well, i have a compression tester, ill fix those ground cables, then move on to testing compression, im just hoping the compression is good, dont really wanna have to rebuild the motor

Old 08-20-2023, 08:09 AM

DO you have a diesel compression gauge? top 500-600 PSI and the adaptor to fit the Glow plug hole?

Quick Reply: 1988 F350 Diesel no power and no start