Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2001 F250 V10 with sluggish performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Default 2001 F250 V10 with sluggish performance

When accelerating you can hear a noise that seems to be coming from the exhaust system. I had the exhaust system checked and everything is okay. replaced all plugs recently, found one bad coil, replaced it. Still this noise exists. I am curious as to whether this could be caused by a clogged injector? If so, is there a recommendation on cleaning the injectors, without taking it in for service?

Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Default RE: 2001 F250 V10 with sluggish performance

If I had to guess while not knowing exactly what the sound sounds like, I'd say it's engine knock maybe. Try having your knock sensors checked. Knock sensors control engine fire timing on your vehicle. I'd guess that if you're thinking it's the injectors, I'd try to see if the knock sensor is pulling the correct voltage. A cheap ohm or volt meter should do the trick. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't exactly what the voltage should be so I can't give you specifics, but if you contact your local service shop and ask some questions about it, they may help you. You may find that you'll get some help for free that way. Dealerships seem to be more helpful for this info than anyone, as auto repair shops kinda see it as you take'n away their business, and dealerships see it as a lead for future business.

Try a Chilton or other auto repair book too maybe, most likely you can find one at your local library if you don't want to buy one.

The dealership shops around where I live, seem to be very helpful when I go to them with these types of questions.

You could have faulty spark plugs too, with these engines there's a lot of feul floating around, and with such a close firing point, sometimes you can get build up on the plugs.

You could even have "water" in your gas lines, and this causes a skip in your firing sequence when you excellerate. There are a few cheap 2.00 gas additives that are supposed to remove the water from the line/tank.

Perhaps your ignition timing swtich (I'm sure if the 2001 has a distributor, or an electronic ignition timing control) is in need of service?

All just ideas, maybe some other people can have more. In any circumstance, if you're hearing noises during excelleration, that most likely means some type of wear, and will get progressively worse, so I wouldn't fool around with not going to the shop for fix-up, as that engine is expensive to fix if it dies.

Since you say you've had the exhaust looked at professionally, I don't think anything like a bad cat converter, or muffler is the problem.

I hope you have some luck.

Thanks