Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/2002-f250-power-windows-am-fm-18433/)

Hayapower 04-16-2016 09:46 AM

If you have power out of circuit #15/C270a,, adding an 'alike' fused wire back into into itself on fuse 41 in the CJB shouldn't cause either to pop. Affectivly just making a loop.

It works all the time,, but pops the fuse?

In order for the controlled components ( radio, Windows) to work all the time, voltage would have to pass through a 'closed/active' Battery saver relay, the instrument cluster processor would have had to be functional and supply grounds for ' both' the Battery saver and Accessory delay relays and the Accesory delay relay would have to be closed/active as well. And then you would have voltage on Accesory delay connector #85 ( missing in your prior post).

Looking at the schematics, how did adding voltage (all ready there) at #15 circuit, add power distribution out to Accesory delay relay connector #85? when it was missing voltage there before?

If there was an issue within the cluster or CJB, I could see it popping a fuse, but it should take out the 10 amp fuse already there..

Nickel-12 04-27-2016 11:39 PM

After all the testing i figured out that i wasnt getting 12v power to the windows radio relay in the cjb because of a bad battery saver function in the gauge cluster. Instead of replacing i was able to tap into the ingnition wires and wire in a stand alone relay to power my radio and windows when the key is on or in acc. But i lost the battery saver function for the windows and radio which i didnt think was a big deal. With lots of help from hayapower and many thanks.

Hayapower 04-27-2016 11:58 PM

Thanks for the update..

Alanah_Rae 04-28-2016 11:53 AM

Thanks for the update !!

Tank702 05-10-2016 12:47 PM

so I also have an 02 f250 with 72k. But it's the V10. I've been having the same issue. My radio and my power windows went out. A week later my gauges stopped working. I read the above thread and I searched for the battery saver relay but its not showing either relays for my truck. I'm sure there is probably some difference between the diesel and gas. I'm really trying to avoid a trip to the dealership so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hayapower 05-11-2016 12:14 AM

Welcome to the site..

The Battery Saver Relay is integrated within the instrument cluster and is not a serviceable component. The micro processor inside the cluster controls the grounding functions for both the Delay and the Battery Saver relays. Again, not a replaceable component.
'All' the panels gauges quit operating?

Tank702 05-11-2016 08:16 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes. All the gauges stopped about a week after the radio and Windows and dome light quit. The truck starts and runs fine. Head Lights and signals are working. So it's gonna require replace the intrument cluster? Nothing to do with the wiring harness? Fuse panels been checked and all looks good as well.

Hayapower 05-11-2016 10:57 AM

You'd certainly want to make sure the cluster input distribution fuses F2.33 & 45 are good.

Battery Saver, Interior Lamp Relays ( both non serviceable relays) fuses F2.41 Batt Saver, F2.35 Interior lamps are good as well.

As part of a test step, would be to see if a scan tool can communicate with the cluster through the diagnostic connector. The cluster isn't repairable at the dealer level, although they do have an exchange unit option to save on down time. Other repair facilities as well.

That said, a somewhat quick series of pinpoint tests should be done at the cluster connectors to help prove out or diagnose a cluster failure so not to replace a good unit. Connector issues aren't very common although can happen. Given the history of the clusters, a good chance it's failing, more so if the connector test prove out, and no grounding issue within the kick panel connection. Again, fairly unlikely.

If you have the option of following the steps in the prior posts, it will help to prove out the Saver/ Delay Relay commanded functions through a good/bad cluster and its onboard micro processor.

Alanah_Rae 05-11-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower (Post 97528)
You'd certainly want to make sure the cluster input distribution fuses F2.33 & 45 are good.

Battery Saver, Interior Lamp Relays ( both non serviceable relays) fuses F2.41 Batt Saver, F2.35 Interior lamps are good as well.

As part of a test step, would be to see if a scan tool can communicate with the cluster through the diagnostic connector. The cluster isn't repairable at the dealer level, although they do have an exchange unit option to save on down time. Other repair facilities as well.

That said, a somewhat quick series of pinpoint tests should be done at the cluster connectors to help prove out or diagnose a cluster failure so not to replace a good unit. Connector issues aren't very common although can happen. Given the history of the clusters, a good chance it's failing, more so if the connector test prove out, and no grounding issue within the kick panel connection. Again, fairly unlikely.

If you have the option of following the steps in the prior posts, it will help to prove out the Saver/ Delay Relay commanded functions through a good/bad cluster and its onboard micro processor.

Great Information.

Bryan Levesque 02-12-2020 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower (Post 48554)
If there's no 12v current on the #85 leg then there's 'either' an issue at the #41/10 amp fuse as it supplies 12v to the magnetic coil

thanks! My problem was a blown #41 fuse. Swapped in a new fuse and now all is good