Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2005 F250 6.0L DIESEL 2WD - NEW OWNER-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Default 2005 F250 6.0L DIESEL 2WD - NEW OWNER-HELP!

Hi all.. I am the proud (?) new owner of a 2005 F250 Diesel 6.0L 2WD pickup. I know nothing about maintaining a diesel other than basic oil change/air filter type stuff. I have had it for a little over a month and recently had the oil & filter changed as I didn't know when the last time was that it had been done. Take note that this truck looked almost like showroom condition and, at the time I bought it, I had a mechanic inspect it & passed it with flying colors. My first questionable experience was when I would start it in the morning and start driving down the road. The transmission (automatic)seemed 'cold' for the first 1/2 mile or so. In other words, it was revving somewhat high before shifting gears until I had gone 1/2 - 1 mile, then it would do fine. Assuming it had to do with being 'cold', I decided this morning that I would let it idle for 8-10 minutes before driving to work. I was shocked to notice as I was driving down the driveway (20-25 yards) that there was a huge white plume of smoke coming from the tailpipe! I went ahead and went down the road a couple of miles to a stop sign and, taking off again, a little more white smoke came from the tailpipe. After that, it seemed to clear up (I have about a 30 mile drive to work). Then, after sitting at work for 8-9 hours, I started it back up and, not letting it idle as much as this morning, I pulled out of the parking lot with, you guessed it, the plume of white smoke again. (Not as bad as this mornning, but still noticeable). By the time I got home, as I was backing down the drive, I adjusted my side mirror to observe and did not notice any smoke. Please, someone tell me this is due to needing a simple fuel filter change - or something even less serious! I have not had the fuel filter changed or the air filter, either. Although it seems in mint condition, it does have 176,000 miles on it. (Before you laugh, I consider myself a high mileage truck lover.... I had a '91 F150 that I finally sold at about 180,000 miles and I still have my '96 F150 running like new with 330,000 miles on it! Both original engines, etc.) So, the high mileage, especially on a diesel, didn't bother me too much. Now I am 2nd & 3rd guessing myself, my mechanic and everyone else who loves diesels!
Also, it didn't come with the owner's manual, so I am pretty much in the dark on all of this.
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? Your response is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
ps.. if it helps the hours meter reads 3200.0