Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

6.0 Diesel Runs Rough Until Warmed Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Default 6.0 Diesel Runs Rough Until Warmed Up

My 2006 F350 6.0 must be warmed up for 10 or 15 minutes before you drive or it does not run very well. Has no power, will idle OK, but step on it and nothing. Once it warms up to operating temp, its great. Just changed oil Amsoil 5W40, and both fuel filters. Also using fuel additive with cetane boost etc. Any help on this would be great.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Default Solved the rough start no power problem

Took the truck in to my local dealer. Gave them the symptoms, they plugged it in and it showed a problem on 4 cylinders - 2,5,6 and 8.
They pulled the injectors and told me they were rusted at the nozzle where fuel sits. Water in fuel - no warranty. I was over there in a flash.
First, the system put in by Ford to prevent water in the fuel has never indicated a problem, the "water in fuel" indicator has never come on. So I said how could water be in there if the system doesn't tell me I have a problem. Second, the truck is driven every day how could rust form. They said it only takes a small amount of water. Then I said every 6.0 on the road must have this problem then. They showed me the injectors. You need a microscope to see the rust, I couldn't see it...they said Ford would reject the claim once they inspected them. I pleaded my case and they said they would try cleaning them up. Anyway the claim went through, I paid my $100 deductible and the rough start issue is gone and you can drive it right away and no power issues, drives like you had it already warmed up.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update..

None of the electro/hydraulic injectors like water, not just the 6.0.. Even the 7.3 would give up the fight when water was part of the fuel supply.. The HUIE injectors in the 7.3 more forgiving, but changed out plenty because of water and debis causing failures, gasoline fills or blends too

The HPOP has a water drain, and should be checked/drained at every service IMO, or even more if your not certain of the fuel suppliers if traveling ect, or, if the tank is at lower levels consistently. Wet/cold/humid climates or conditions when buying fuel would have me giving the drain a quick check at regular intervals as well. It's better to check and/or take fuel samples to better insure any water intrusion from anything from contaminated fuel cans (seen that a bunch), transfer tanks w/without filters, to fuel stations that may be the culprit if they don't move alot of fuel volumes. Also Bio diesel if not the correct blend.

The LCF trucks use a knurled fuel plug that makes a 'quick' check a breeze, more so if you should get a WIF light and need to drain it ASAP.. It's a direct replacement for the OEM 6.0 plug and can be finger tightened. It also has a 'T' end that keeps it from dropping out and helps to wick the fuel away from the frame and HPOP when draining..

Here's a pic of the upgrade plug.

Attached Thumbnails 6.0 Diesel Runs Rough Until Warmed Up-plugs1.jpg  

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-05-2010 at 09:02 PM.