Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

88 f250 351w - vibration after new clutch and flywheel resurface

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Default 88 f250 351w - vibration after new clutch and flywheel resurface

I have an 88 f250 and my slave cylinder went out but the clutch was still good .
I have a gravel driveway and it's cold and wet so I paid a shop but when i got it back it had a slight vibration sitting still with clutch in or out and while driving also so obviously their is a balance issue right ?
the shop said it's a single mass flywheel and they had it resurfaced by napa.

the clutch engagement feels great and slips or anything but this vibration can't be right .

can anyone point me in a direction I might be able to point the shop?

Napa messed up on the resurface?

or is the it the pressure plate/clutch?

any input would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

A surface cut is uniform and would be less likely for harmonic issues. The pressure plate at times will have welded weights for minor correction. If an incorrect pilot bushing/bearing was installed, the clutch disc wouldn’t center correctly and would have the potential for balance issues. So would the wrong flywheel.. Pressure plate bolts are shouldered to center it to the flywheel. I’ve seen lots of standard bolts used when lost or broken which allow for some ‘shift’ off center.

If you can rev the engine and feel the harmonic vibs ranging, meaning intensity changes, somethings wrong with the work done and would be up to the shop to correct. I’ve had a large amount of resurface work done over the years by our local NAPA with no issues. Parts,, there’s another story,, more so since quite a few are manufactured overseas.

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-21-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reply .

the shop says they are stumped and don't know what it could be .
they said they did everything correctly and double checked after I let them know about the vibration .

is their anyway they could have used the wrong pressure plate and clutch or could the parts be defective?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

If the vibrations weren’t there prior to the work, and now are present, they should break it back down to find the cause.
I wouldn’t think the PP would be wrong. Never ran across one severely out of balance (that would have normal ops) but have had plenty with release issues/ chatter , or had peddle pressure concerns.
Was it a NAPA clutch set, or ? NAPA Auto Care Center do the work?

Some years ago I had a friend bring me a 60’s F series that had some vid issues. The truck was originally a 6 cyld. convertered over to a 302. The engine had a pretty horrible harmonic vib. Turned out they used the 6 flywheel on the 302 which through the engine balance off..

Old 02-27-2019, 01:43 AM

They said it was a LUK clutch kit.

the shop said they are sure they installed it correctly and the correct parts were used and he said he's sure the vibration wasn't cuased by the work they did but they are going to replace the parts and he didn't sound happy about it because he said he is sure it's not going to fix the vibration.

all I know is my motor didnt vibrate like that before they replaced the clutch .
it would rev up buttery smooth and low it's not, I can even bring it too high in rpm without cringing

Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 AM

Are all the bolts tight/engine/tranny mounts tight? I'm guessing some of them were loosened/removed to install the clutch.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Before I brought it back to the shop I checked everything and they were right. The engine mounts rubber were not in the best of condition but I don't think that's the cause . It deffaintly feels like a balance issue.
kind of like a bad u joint but I can feel it sitting still in neutral at idle or revving it up .

the clutch works with no slipping , noise , chatter

Old 02-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Did they replace pilot bearing??

Old 02-27-2019, 12:18 PM

Did they replace the pilot bearing ? Some are bronze some a real bearing. If not seated correctly will bind on trans input shaft.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:21 PM

They never mentioned the pilot bearing .

does it have to be replaced during this work or is it likely they didnt change it ?

Quick Reply: 88 f250 351w - vibration after new clutch and flywheel resurface