Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

88 f250 351w - vibration after new clutch and flywheel resurface

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Correction .
I just looked at my receipt and they did replace the pilot bearing

Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Some vehicles had an "X" mark on the flywheel that is supposed to line up with an "X" on the pressure plate assy for balance purposes. Don't know if this was on your vehicle..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM

No the pilot does not have to be replaced but it keeps the input shaft on the trans lined up and the clutch lined up. It is possible the fly wheel did not seat correctly on the crankshaft. Maybe dirt or rust.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

LUK kits generally come with pressure plate, disc, T bearing and pilot..

Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 PM

Yes sir it did .
I was able to find out from the napa what the shop bought and they bought the right parts and I got my same flywheel back resurfaced .

I'm wondering if the flywheel was resurface too much or too many times , would that cause it to be off balance from missing too much material and the weight was too less ?
could that possibly cause a vibration?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Generally a flywheel re surface is just a ‘skim’ cut for flatness corrections/true.
Unless they removed a huge amount of material, it shouldn’t toss the balance off. Especially if the vibs are pretty substantial as you noted.
And I’d guess that the NAPA person doing the machine work,, it wasn’t his first time at the party,,, and if seeing your flywheel was severely in need of deep cuts for correction ( metal on metal contact, or rivet groves etc),, would let you/them know. Sometimes flywheels will have ‘hot spots’ of ‘heat checking’, even shallow surface heat cracks. Most imperfections can be removed without any deep surface materials removed. Given your trucks vintage, the flywheel may have had a cut or two prior in its life. But normally not much material is removed.
Most machinists would look at any ‘questionable’ wheel and certainly make it known to who ever dropped it off about what’s needed, or a replacement if a better bet...

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-27-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Understood.
I don't think my flywheel was bad because the clutch was still good . The slave cylinder just went bad and I figure might as well have the clutch replaced . Now I wish I didnt

Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

When are they going to recheck their work?

The vib at idle is odd. Normally a balance issue is more harmonic. As RPM increases/decreases, the vib sensations will too.
Truck idles smooth?, no running concerns?
For me, I keeping going back to it was smooth when dropped off,, now, out of balance it would seem....

Old 02-27-2019, 10:24 PM

They said it will be done Friday but he said he is sure they won't find anything .
They said they checked for vacuum leaks , ignition problems and all and did not find anything and they are lost .
I told him don't waste your time on that kind of stuff its directly related to the work .

they said they took it apart and inspected once but this time they are going warranty the parts .

it runs normal , no mis firing .
I know the truck well . When I first got the truck it ran poorly with a check engine light and had some problems but now runs good .

it still runs good but I'm sure their is a balance issue after the work I'm just trying to figure out what sense they can't

Old 02-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Got it,,

The flywheel is a storehouse of rotational energy/inertia, and does take out vibs out of the crank as does the forward harmonic balancer. Basically a store house to capture force during the power stroke, and evenly redistribute it back in the other 3 cycles. So, as a balanced unit to the specific engine, removing smaller amounts of material, ‘evenly’ around the wheel doesn’t, or shouldn’t greatly affect it’s overall function.. And if it were severely over ground, under sized, I’d doubt it would present itself at idle..
I’ve seen dual mass units that shook so bad they broke the bellhousing. Single mass,, a severe balance offset, or overly off balance, ulikely. But like I mentioned prior, a 6 wheel on a 302,, idle it wasnt noticeable, rev it up and it was like an electric football game in the cab....

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-27-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 88 f250 351w - vibration after new clutch and flywheel resurface