Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Completely stuck with a no start 07’ 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 07:54 PM
Default Completely stuck with a no start 07’ 6.0

I have a 07 f250. 6.0.

I bought it with a leak in the HPOS. I was hoping to get to it before it got me and just work around the no start hot. It got me first. The last time it started, it started normal, went to pull out of the driveway, it drove 30 ft or so and it kinda sputtered and died. It would do that twice and then wouldn’t start. That’s when I noticed it showed 0 oil pressure on the dash gauge.

It’s now been sitting for about 3 months as I’ve been able to buy parts. I installed new stand pipes and dummy plug kits, and brand new IPR. Already has new IpC and full set of plugs I did when I got it.

I went to turn it over after the new parts fixing any leak. Still no oil pressure and no start.

I figured the leak finally blew the HPOP. Bought a new one and just put it in, along with oil change and all new fluids.

STILL NONOIL PRESSURE AND NO START. I don’t know where to go now.

All parts put in we’re Ford from certified diesel dealers

Old 01-30-2023, 08:35 PM

Post a picture of the top of your engine.

Did you replace the pump (HPOP) discharge fitting (the STC fitting)?

Old 01-31-2023, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bismic
Post a picture of the top of your engine.

Did you replace the pump (HPOP) discharge fitting (the STC fitting)?

I changed the old out for a new complete pump with STC Pre installed.

I found my problem though! And my engines done!

For anyone in the future reading this. The second your oil gauge in the dash reads 0, go straight to the relief valve of the low pressure oil pump. The low pressure oil system isn’t read in the computer so you will never get diagnostics for it, and instead waste months and over $1500 to replace all High Pressure oil components, only to find out you had a lifter failure and needle bearings in your relief valve m, but mostly will know right away that your engine is toast!

Old 01-31-2023, 07:06 PM

A lot of times this all happens because an aftermarket (tall) oil filter cap is used with a short filter and the lubrication oil flow and pressure suffers. Then the lifters suffer.

There are a number of reasons the dash oil pressure can drop to zero. Lifter failure, or a piece of an injector snap ring, taking out the LPOP is only one of them. Sadly it usually is a "fatal" one.

Last edited by bismic; 02-01-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:18 PM

A lot of times this all happens because an aftermarket (tall) oil filter cap is used with a short filter and the lubrication oil flow and pressure suffers. Then the lifters suffer.

There are a number of reasons the dash oil pressure can drop to zero. Lifter failure, or a piece of an injector snap ring, taking out the LPOP is only one of them. Sadly it usually is a "fatal" one.
What are the other reasons? And is it the same scenario with 7.3?

If a 7.3 has a crank no start and no gauge pressure can you assume it’s the same issues? And if so, does lifter failure pose the same engine tear down as 6.0?

Old 02-21-2023, 07:02 AM

Causes of no low pressure oil pressure:
  • Low oil level
  • Bad switch or wiring
  • Damaged or misaligned oil filter
  • Aftermarket oil filter/cap (causes issues w/ housing drain valve or filter bypass valve)
  • The pump inlet and outlet passages are through ports in the front cover.....these ports might be plugged up.
  • Stuck open pressure regulator (12 mm hex bit to pull)
  • Inaccurate instrument panel gauge - stuck gauge or low voltage to the gauge
  • significant oil dilution (due to fuel)
  • Missing galley plugs
  • Early model years (03 and 04.25) - missing check valve ball in the HPOP
  • 05 and up model years - badly leaking STC fitting on the HPOP
  • Front cover gasket leaks (would need to be pretty significant leaks)
  • Scored/damaged LPOP, or LPOP cover / front cover - doesn't take much scoring to be a problem!
  • An upper oil pan to bedplate leak at the pickup port will cause the LPOP to not pick up oil from the oil pan (VERY VERY rare)
  • Restriction in the pick-up tube or oil pan
  • Missing bearing shell(s)
  • Broken or damaged piston cooling jets

Last edited by bismic; 02-21-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:09 AM

Causes of no low pressure oil pressure:
  • Low oil level
  • Bad switch or wiring
  • Damaged or misaligned oil filter
  • Aftermarket oil filter/cap (causes issues w/ housing drain valve or filter bypass valve)
  • The pump inlet and outlet passages are through ports in the front cover.....these ports might be plugged up.
  • Stuck open pressure regulator (12 mm hex bit to pull)
  • Inaccurate instrument panel gauge - stuck gauge or low voltage to the gauge
  • significant oil dilution (due to fuel)
  • Missing galley plugs
  • Early model years (03 and 04.25) - missing check valve ball in the HPOP
  • 05 and up model years - badly leaking STC fitting on the HPOP
  • Front cover gasket leaks (would need to be pretty significant leaks)
  • Scored/damaged LPOP, or LPOP cover / front cover - doesn't take much scoring to be a problem!
  • An upper oil pan to bedplate leak at the pickup port will cause the LPOP to not pick up oil from the oil pan (VERY VERY rare)
  • Restriction in the pick-up tube or oil pan
  • Missing bearing shell(s)
  • Broken or damaged piston cooling jets

And that’s all for the 7.4?

Also I think my main question is, if it’s lifter failure do you need to totally break down the engine to replace like in the 6.0?

looking at buying one with this issue, but only if it’s not a fatal issue like it was in my 6.0

Old 02-21-2023, 02:12 PM

Sorry, I don't understand your question about the 7.3L What I posted was for the 6.0L since you posted that these issues are on an '07 6.0L.

The 7.3L has some of the same potential causes, but certainly not all of them.
The 7.3L HPOP does not have the "press-fit" BB on the suction side, and does not have a failure prone STC fitting. It also does not suffer from issues related to aftermarket oil filters or poorly installed oil filters.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:15 PM

Sorry, I don't understand your question about the 7.3L What I posted was for the 6.0L since you posted that these issues are on an '07 6.0L.

The 7.3L has some of the same potential causes, but certainly not all of them.
The 7.3L HPOP does not have the "press-fit" BB on the suction side, and does not have a failure prone STC fitting. It also does not suffer from issues related to aftermarket oil filters or poorly installed oil filters.
Okay thank you.

yeah it started as that for my truck I was trying to fix, which is the 6.0.

But I found a 99’ 7.3 with a crank no start and no oil pressure on the gauge. So wondering if it was the same fatal issue or if it’s fixable and worth the cheap buy?

Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM

Like the 6.0L, the 7.3L oil pressure is only a switch that is electrically connected to the gauge on the dash (it is not sent to the PCM). So the switch (or the switch connector and wiring) could be bad, or the dash gauge could be bad.

The switch is located on the top of the HPOP reservoir.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=45247

Best to put a manual gauge on it.

Quick Reply: Completely stuck with a no start 07’ 6.0