Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

deisel smell, and brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Default deisel smell, and brake problems

I have a 2000 F350 with 85,000 miles. I recently started smelling fuel and noticed a small spot on the wet pavement that is probably diesel just behind the passenger side front wheel towards the middle of the truck. Unlike my old 62 impala I have no idea where the fuel lines go once they get to the engine. Any suggestions. Also I have had my front rotors turned twice and they still get warped in no time flat. Anyone gone to a different rotor that has held up for them. I do pull a trailer occassionaly but not enought to justify the front brake problems that I have had. Thanks, new to the forum, hope it is as helpful as the Kawasaki M/C forum that I go to for help.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Default RE: deisel smell, and brake problems

It's likely your trailer isn't braking properly - making the trucks brakes work harder. The fuel line goes into the injection. It must be depressurized before working with it. It could be as simple as a bad O-ring on the connector. Also certain brake pads must be in a matched set with certain rotors to eliminate warpage. Getting on your brake a little early never hurts either. Do you haul heavy loads in the bed?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Craig, I too was smelling diesel in the cab of my truck recently. I replaced the fuel filter on top of the engine and the smell went away immediately. When I replaced hte filter I bought one from O'Reilly Auto Parts, but bought the Motorcraft filter. The new filter came with a new flanged gasket, make sure that you replace the filter and the gasket. It worked for me and may work for you. The cost of the filter and gasket was about $40. BASSHAWK

Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM

is it an easy install, I looked under the black cover and found the filter thing, and there was diesel on the rim of the casing, a bird nest down in the gully as well. Does the top of the filter just turn off like the lid of a jar? there is a yellow handle on the passenger side, is that the water seperator? Thanks for the response.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sent you an email..

The yellow lever is the drain.. Mice like to build nests in the valley as well if the truck sits, which also makes it harder to detect any leaks if you can't see where it collects/puddles in the valley.. They can chew through a host of imporatnt pieces... The filter cap does unscrew like a jar, C/C to loosen.. Make sure the cap oring is installed with the 'pointed' end upwards, and that the round oring is installed on the leading edge of the filter body...

Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 PM

thanks guys, in this day and age of getting screwed by one dealer or shop after another it is nice to get some help from people who are just trying to work together and not make a hundered dollars on a 50 dollar job. I get on a Kawasaki web page and they too are very helpful........