Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F250 questions..general

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Default F250 questions..general

Howdy. I am new to Ford trucks, and just bought a 1989 F250 from a friend for a work truck/daily driver. I know that my gas mileage will be horrible, etc etc. What I don't know is anything about the truck. It has a 351 V-8, 4wd, auto, and the biggest rear end punpkin I've ever seen. I am a Jeep guy, so I can identify all of their components by sight. I just don't know anything about Fords. Looking for a GOOD VIN decoder, not just something that tells me place of manufacture,etc. I need to know specs on the vehicle, and also where to find a Ford service manual. Jeeps have lots of aftermarket info avail, just don't know where to go for Fords...all the sites are dominated by 04 Super Duty talk......Thanks for all your help, oh, and it's really true!! You CAN pull down a house with one of these things!!! We pulled down a medium-sized barn about a week ago with my pal's 94 F250......wow....

Old 02-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: F250 questions..general

Welcome to the site....

The data tag in the door jamb should give you GVW, Axle Weights, Codes ect.. I might be able to help if your more specific on the info needed for VIN ect.. As far as a good service/shop manual, I sold a 'bunch' of our old shop manuals on ebay and if your patient, and can beat some of the manual dealers/resellers to the punch, you can usually pick up OEM Manual/s for your MY application at a decent deal.. Or I've seen them at some of the car showsbooths for older manual sales. An OEM Shop manual is the way to go if you want complete, application/model specific info for repair and service..

I ripped a barn wall off because my boat wouldn't go through the door.. I was 'renting' the property and the landlord was living next door! The beer was do'n the think'n...

Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Default RE: F250 questions..general

Thanks for the welcome, some sites aren't too friendly. Careful on the "busa, I've ridden one, and you can go so fast that people in cars never even see u, u shoulda seen the face of the guy who I "merged" next to on the DC beltway. You'd think he saw a ghost, but he DID look like he was wrapped up in his new Kenny G album.

My VIN is 1FTHF26H8KNA09237. Axle code- 39, trans code-K, spring-5. I just would like to know what tranny, transfer case, rear, etc. I need to know what I am servicing...my pal has a full machine shop and a Mohawk lift, so I do ALL of my own work. I need to know what fluids are recommended, spark plug gaps, everything. I also want to look at the pro's and cons of putting a Detroit locker in it, as well as maybe chipping it for more power if necessary, you know, all the "I just bought this, now I have to make it mine" stuff that you do with a new toy, sorry, WORK TRUCK.

Thanks for the tips on the service manuals, I will look on Ebay...

Thanks for the reply, I have been reading your posts for a week now, sounds like you know what's up, wothiut being a know it all...a refeshing change. Thanks for the info!