Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   f250 transmission (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/f250-transmission-24427/)

bgrosset 05-26-2011 11:38 AM

f250 transmission

I have a 96 f250 7.3 powerstroke with a 5 speed manual transmission, and i'm kinda wondering what i should do, i've talked to some people about it because i can no longer get my truck into reverse unless i turn it off, and i can barely get it into second gear, and sometimes it will come out of gear when i take off, and it grinds a little going into 4th gear. but the people that i have talked to say that it could be my master slave cylinder?

hanky 05-26-2011 05:07 PM

If the truck has a hydraulic clutch system, it has a clutch master and a clutch slave cylinder. Usually the first thing to check is the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.
If full, the slave cylinder should be checked. If both appear OK then it is possible the clutch linkage may need to be adjusted. If the fluid level is low there is a leak somewhere and it could be at the slave cylinder in which case it will require replacement.
If it doesn't have a hydraulic clutch system then It sounds like the clutch only needs to be adjusted to give about 1 inch of free ply before you feel any resistance when depressing the clutch pedal.

bgrosset 05-27-2011 09:12 AM

okay sounds like it may just need adjusting because when i engage the clutch, and release it it only comes back half way and then i need to pull it the rest of the way with my foot after i shift. so it is most likely sounds like i will not have to replace my transmission just adjust my clutch.

Gary2Wheels 05-28-2011 01:02 PM

hydraulics are great when they are working properly.Depending on mileage,you may find yourself 'nicke and dimed' by only focusing on the linkage though.If you do the entire clutch job top to bottom,you'll know better how things really look...yep,I know it's always $...

pravn 06-29-2011 07:28 AM

first check the fluid level in both master and slave clutch, and also its linkage.

LJAmos 03-07-2013 02:47 PM

I have a 1996 f250 with the 5.8W 5 speed manual, and know its a clutch problem.
When I push the clutch in it goes straight to the floor and I have to pull it back out with my foot. I know where the master is but where is the slave sylinder? What is my problem and how do I fix it please?

hanky 03-07-2013 04:48 PM

If you are looking at the clutch master cyl follow the hose/line down to the trans and the slave cyl is inside the bell housing, (the part of the trans that bolts to the engine).
Is the clutch master cyl full?

LJAmos 03-07-2013 08:59 PM

It was not completly full, so i topped it off and its a little better. Is there a video on how to bleed the line?

LJAmos 03-07-2013 09:02 PM

And how do I check the level in the slave cylender