Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Just wanted to thank members for postings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Default Just wanted to thank members for postings

Bought ourselves a 2004 F350 4X4 w/6.0 to do a lot of the heavy lifting around the farm...And there sure is a lot of it...

The truck had been sitting for a couple years so we expected to make repairs after buying it right, but ugh.....New injectors, new egr cooler and oil filter (since we were already there, followed by a turbo, water pump,etc.....All done by an expensive diesel shop....

Normally I work on a lot of our equipment and vehicles, but looking at the monster sitting under the hood of this truck I just thought, "No way"....

But, having retired last September, trowing large amounts of cash into the pockets of diesel mechanics just isn't in the cards anymore...

So, I decided to become "intimately" familier with this motor....

First was a break down that left me stranded while picking up 20K of hay in Southern, Indiana....

Turned out to be the fuel pump....which you could "hear" running, but wasn't pushing any fuel....It took me longer to remove the old fuel lines then it did to change that pump....

Now my personal favorite so far.....Cold starts...hot no starts.....With the help of this forum's members, and their old posts, and DieselTechRon (now deceased) on you tube I was able to muddle my way past the fear of tearing into this motor..

Sure enough....An o-ring on an original standpipe failed so I couldn't build oil pressure...and of course...both lower stand pipes stayed in when I tried to remove them.....

So after using this as an excuse to buy a few new tools and removing the oil rails....

New stand pipes and dummy plugs are in, and for the moment....here at Hawk Haven Farm the beast is back shouldering his burdens.... Thanks much....

Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you getting yourself familiar .
They're not overly complicated, just not real fun But like any other, once you've cracked that egg, what seemed daunting is more so second nature.
Should you need any shop tech info/step procedure, diagrams, let us know, they're only a request away..
The loss of DieselTechRon was a heartbreaking blow to all, and a loss to the DIY guys tackling the 6.0. He helped many owners.......

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-18-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Default Thanks Haymaker

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Glad you getting yourself familiar .
They're not overly complicated, just not real fun But like any other, once you've cracked that egg, what seemed daunting is more so second nature.
Should you need any shop tech info/step procedure, diagrams, let us know, they're only a request away..
The loss of DieselTechRon was a heartbreaking blow to all, and a loss to the DIY guys tackling the 6.0. He helped many owners.......
While test driving yesterday everything seems ok, but I'm thinking I might have an injector leaking....I'm thinking of getting a Forscan so I'll have more diagnostic capability...Any thoughts on those?

Old 02-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a windows laptop as a platform ,, a download of FORScan and the switchable ELM327 (HS-MS CAN ) about 30.00,, is a pretty solid and capable tool. If you use Android or iOS, some of the capabilities aren’t accessible. Certainly worth the cost.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:05 AM

I use the Windows platform so I think the Forscan will workout. I had a check engine light come on and I looked at the code with my scan gauge II ...It was a P2285 (ICP)... I dove it for a bit, took it to my local mechanic (a buddy of mine). He scanned it with his Snapon scanner and there were various old codes in there from before I made the repairs. I had him clear all the old stuff and continued driving. The check engine light has stayed off. I'm going to hook up with him next week and he'll re-scan it for me and I'll go forward from there...

Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 AM

I also believe that ForScan is the best tool for the money now. Reading the codes is pretty much the first place to start when troubleshooting, but as "well instrumented" as the 6.0L is, sometimes issues just won't throw a code (injector issues are one example). There is still a TON of help on various forum for the 6.0L. I still love mine at almost 230k miles.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:18 AM

Yep, I really like mine. Just ordered the scan tool ....Not a fan of amazon but that's the only place I really saw it. My only regret on the 6.0 is that I didn't start repairing it myself sooner.....

Old 02-21-2021, 07:29 AM

I hear you! There is some mis-information out there, so it is always a good idea to post up any questions you might have (as well as get a good idea of who the knowledgeable folks are - like hanky and Hayapower for a couple of examples)

Last edited by bismic; 02-21-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kroddy3293
Yep, I really like mine. Just ordered the scan tool ....Not a fan of amazon but that's the only place I really saw it. My only regret on the 6.0 is that I didn't start repairing it myself sooner.....
The ELM327? Did you order the switchable unit,, HS/MS?
There are may offerings on eBay.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Morning, Yep, order the one on amazon, has a toggle switch on it...Is that the correct unit? Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Quick Reply: Just wanted to thank members for postings