Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Question steering wheels

my f350 does not have controls for the radio/phone on the steerimg wheel. i want to add them. if i buy a steering wheel with the controls and it is for my truck will it hook up. some say no, there are only 2 sets of wires with the wheel. shouldn't there be the wires aready there for the new wheel to work?? how will i find out??l thanks

Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

What year 350?

Basically, No, but....

Depending on MY, along with the wheel, airbag sliding contact (clockspring) carries the wheel controls/circuits, some harness differences, but the radio/audio unit itself has to be remote capable. Phone/Sync is another hurdle. Ford used to have a ‘Mobile-ease’ kit which was a add in number storage bank and basic control module and was capable of limited voice commands and prompts. They now have a add on Sync Accessories kit (610+) but the audio unit currently installed would be in question for functions.

There are aftermarket audio heads, (install kits as well) the are Bluetooth enabled/capable, wheel control adapter kits etc for select audio units available from vendors like Crutchfields that would or should get you the functions you want. OE, not so much depending on equipment level, but a combo of aftermarket and Ford Accesories/OE may get you up and running...

Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 PM

not sure what MY is, i have a 2010 f350. all steering wheels look the same to me. not sure about the clock spring, airbag control, etc. i thought that when ford built a truck they used all the wiring for all options just incase someone wanted to upgrade that it wouldnt have to be rewired. as for the add on control, i would want it in the wheel not attached to be in the way. guess i'll have to live without it. thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

MY is short for ‘model year’..

Some accessories can be more easily added,, say,, power windows, power door locks, cruise control, remote start etc, but generally it’s more cost affective, less work, to go with aftermarket kits over OE parts. Some features share system modules and communications between, and adding in options becomes difficult at best, and expensive..

If you wanted to add steering wheel radio control, then another OE steering wheel and the correct optioned sliding contact behind it would need to be upgraded as a start. It wouldn’t be an ugly non stock looking panel or stand alone switches.
You still have a sliding contact in your truck now for the airbag, horn, but a new contact that carries all the wanted wheel controls would need to installed. Then a adapter harness from say Crutchfields to adapt there and connect to a replacement audio unit capable of remote control.
Or, sometimes you can find good deals on a ‘take out’ audio unit on eBay where someone has upgraded to a higher end aftermarket unit maybe with NAV and are selling off their stock unit.

When adding in aftermarket kit type accessories, usually you can work off of the currently installed level of hardware, harness’s, fuse panels, and use splices and taps to run or operate the options. Back in the day with little to zero module control, some had limited, or full feature capable and had connectors, pigtails etc available for missing options, but not so much with the complex systems we see today. They tend be be more ‘as built’ specific, but doesn’t mean options can’t be added in, it just depends, and sometimes a combination of OE and aftermarket is a more cost affective choice.

If a controlled wheel is sourced, correct sliding contact purchased/installed, an adapter harness if an aftermarket audio head is used, then a Sync kit added in would get you the features you want.