Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

VSM Problems....with my 2006 F-350 SD Crew and Dealer Service issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Default VSM Problems....with my 2006 F-350 SD Crew and Dealer Service issues

My 2006 F-350 Super Duty Crewcab PSD (purchased in Oct 2005 - has 64k miles on it now) is in the shop for warranty work at this time. It started running like crap a few months ago. The dealer said it needed 8 injectors replaced.

I figured since it was in for service I would have the remote keyless entry problem looked at. Now mind you my truck has been in the shop going on 2 weeks now. I am also a former service manager at a general repair shop of 5 years. So I know the routine and issues in running a shop. I had to call the dealer all the time to get a status on my truck.

Our initial conversations were about the drivability issues. Then I mentioned that there was a problem with the key remotes not working. My service advisor said that there would be a diagnostic charge for the tech to figure out what was wrong with the remotes not working which I agreed to. Note the only problem I had with the locks was my remotes not working my keypad worked fine.

I went to pick up my truck yesterday and the first thing I noticed was that the door keypad is not functioning which I tell service that it is not working. I even figured that the pad might not be working due to the battery being dead (which I thought was strange). They get a tech to jumpstart it for me and when I get in the truck the first thing I notice is that the multifunction display is complaining about my left front door is open. I open and close my door then the display complains that the right front door is open so I open and close it. Then it chimes and says my left front door is open. I then figure out it has something to do with the VSM and the interior and cargo light will not go out (that explains the dead battery).

The service advisor keeps claiming that it is due to the VSM being faulty to which I respond that the only thing that didn't work before was just the remotes. Now I have a situation that have I less functionality than what I did when I dropped the truck off. I didn't have the VSM repaired since it was out of warranty and I needed to look at my extended warranty closer to see what it covered. The dealer claims they didn't do anything to the VSM to which I keep asking what has changed since now it is worse than what it was when I dropped it off.

I use the keypad feature a lot when I am at dealers dropping off vehicles or getting fuel at truck stops I will unlock and lock the doors from the keypad.

The worst part about this whole ordeal is that I ended up speaking with one of the managing partners of the dealership yesterday. While all this was going on....and me getting more aggitated as things progressed. The surprising thing is that the managing partner left in the middle of this and left me swinging in the wind with no apparent course of action.

I heard the customer service line to Ford direct is a feel good line and not much would come from the call except they will call the service manager and make some inquiries.

How is the VSM troubleshot and from what I am experiencing it appears to be invasive to which now more problems are occuring?

Any suggestions on my course of action from here?

Sorry for the long post.....had to get this off my chest.

-Eric-