Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

2007 Ford Five Hundred will no longer start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Default 2007 Ford Five Hundred will no longer start.

So hear goes. any suggestions welcomed.
car started misfiring the other week. by the time I got home, it threw a code. My reader and autozone reader said it was a misfire in cyl #2. best course, replace the plug and coil on cyl #2... I opted to replace all the plugs. For the record, cyl #2 is the rear center. (v6 FWD) It is kind of a pain to get to that plug so I wanted to replace them all just to be safe. After fighting with it the EGR valve for a long time, i was finally able to get the intake manifold off and swap the plugs and replace the coil. Reassembled everything and fired it up... now have mult- cyl misfire. Figured I must have gapped them wrong or something. Started the disassembly again and noticed a couple vacuum lines i missed. Completed the disassembly and checked the plugs were gapped properly and reassembled.. apparently cracked a vacuum line. replaced said vacuum line and hooked everything up. Still ran poorly. online searched had suggested the EGR itself may be bad... this sucked because the EGR assembly was a pain in the *** to remove. went and bought another tool... replaced EGR valve. Started it up and it Seemed to be running ok... quick test drive... got stranded at the rec center. pulled it home and found that the tube for EGR had cracked... shelved it for the night. Called around to all the local parts stores... EGR tube is dealer only and cost around $70.. no thanks. Jalopy had the piece so I snagged it, brought it home and hooked it up... ran like crap. Front plugs keep getting fouled and are visibly wet upon remove, rear plugs look great ( yes i disassembled the damn thing again). Checked the codes again and it said O2 sensor failure.. replaced the O2 sensor that was specified.. still runs like crap. funny thing, i can remove all three front plugs and the damn thing will start just fine.. just to be on the safe side, swapped plugs with a different set and made sure they were gapped and the coils were firing. hooked it all back up... still runs like crap, if and when it eventually starts.

At this point, it will no longer start...

I've searched quite a bit but have not found exactly what I am looking for just yet. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been using the FORScan software just for a short time, previously used other software that was more simple as my needs were simple.

My question, the software is great at getting into the system and showing me the various sensors and values but where can I find out what "normal" is? Some of the PID's do list an "expect" value but not all of them. I've read through other forums and other sites but have yet to find an answer that is specific. Thinking a chart would be useful to show the expected value's that I can then compare with what my vehicle data is displaying.

My car is not currently giving me a code but it also will not start, need to dive into the data and see where a possible failure could lie.

Thanks.
Below is a partial entry of the scan software while attempting to start the car.

MISFIRE NO Engine Misfire currently detected
MISMON No Misfire On Board Diagnostic Trip Flag
SPKDUR_1 1.47 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 1
SPKDUR_2 1.25 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 2
SPKDUR_3 1.94 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 3
SPKDUR_4 2.69 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 4
SPKDUR_5 1.81 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 5
SPKDUR_6 1.84 ms Spark Duration Of Cylinder 6
FUELSYS1.OBDII Open Loop Fuel system status (Open/Closed loop) - Bank 1
FUELSYS2.OBDII error Fuel system status (Open/Closed loop) - Bank 2
CATTEMP11 494 °F Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1
CATTEMP21 494 °F Catalyst Temperature Bank 2, Sensor 1
FFD error Freeze Frame Data
FRP 2.71 Volt Fuel Rail Pressure
FRP 38.7 psi Fuel Rail Pressure
FRP_DSD 39.2 psi Fuel Rail Pressure Desired
RPM 405 rev/min Engine Revolutions Per Minute
RPM.OBDII 440 rev/min Engine Revolutions Per Minute
RO2FT1 0.00 % Rear O2 Fuel Trim - Bank 1
RO2FT2 0.00 % Rear O2 Fuel Trim - Bank 2
O2BANK1 Lean Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Switching Status
O2BANK2 Lean Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Switching Status
NM 0 Total Number of Misfires
MAF.OBDII 0.57 lb/min Mass Air Flow
MAF 0.58 lb/min Mass Air Flow
MAF_V 1.03 Volt Mass Air Flow
FP 34.26 % Fuel pump
FPM 0.00 % Fuel pump monitor
FP_F No Fault Fuel Pump Fault
FTP -0.0 psi Fuel Tank Pressure
FUELSYS Open Loop Fuel System Status (Open/Closed Loop)
IGN1_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 1
IGN2_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 2
IGN3_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 3
IGN4_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 4
IGN5_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 5
IGN6_F No Fault Ignition Timing Fault Detected For Cylinder 6
IGNM_ENA No Ignition Timing Emissions Monitor Enabled
MAF_F No Fault Mass Air Flow Sensor Status
MASTERKEY Present Master Key Present

Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Please update thread if you figure it out. I have a 2007 with similar issues. Mine started with a P0191 code. Started chasing the code, replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor,crank sensor and throttle body. Still same issue as you, just dumps fuel in the front three cylinders and floods motor. It will start if you crank it to death. When it does start even at WOT it hits 2k rpm.
Though if you yank fuel pump relay, it will start, then put relay back in you can get it to kinda of run. When it does run it just starts throwing random codes, Im guessing I have a 5v wire grounded out somewhere.
MRJack did you check:

Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM

My problem remains. I'm at a loss as to what to do right now. still researching. I have seen that video but my wiring harness does not follow that same route. I have checked over the harness pretty well but I have not seen any chaffing or exposed/damaged wires yet.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM

Mine was the A/C sensor right below the oil fill cap. The A/C sensor would randomly ground out the 5v signal voltage and cause the fuel pressure sensor to zero out and PCM would just dump fuel in to car.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 PM

I will check that tomorrow. you wouldn't have a picture of said sensor would you? Did you swap the sensor itself or was it a wiring issue?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 PM

Oil fill cap directly down, is the A/C compressor and there is a sensor on top. I un-plugged that sensor, and that got the fuel pressure back on the PCM. I had to put in new plugs, but after new plugs, car fired right up. Yank any of the O2 sensor to make sure its not a plugged cat/back pressure issue.