Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Anti-theft system help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:41 AM
Smile SOLVED: Anti-theft system help needed

My retired parents bought this 06 new and it now has 197K on the clock. Last month, Dad tried to crank it, it would not turn over. The anti-theft light is flashing and does not go off, there is 12V to the data connector but neither of my code readers can link to the computer. Used a jumper wire to the starter and the engine turns over just fine. Disconnected the battery about 10 times and left it disconnected up to 7 days this last time. Touched the negative and positive battery cables to drain any ghost capacitor charges. Dealership said it is probably a fuse but all fuses checked OK...both under the hood and under the dash. Removed the ground attached to the car above the battery, scraped paint from the surface, and used a wire brush on the connector AND surface. There is 0 resistance between the metal and the battery ground wire. The car will not shift out of PARK when I press the brake and the ignition is ON. Any help would be great because we cannot afford a dealer visit right now.

Thanks,
Randel

Last edited by rhensonsr; 01-12-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Solved thanks to Haya
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by rhensonsr
My retired parents bought this 06 new and it now has 197K on the clock. ...
The car will not shift out of PARK when I press the brake and the ignition is ON. Any help would be great because we cannot afford a dealer visit right now.
I just bought a 2006 with 210,000 on it and everything works - fortunately! Doesn't have an anti-theft system (yours is surely an aftermarket one). Maybe focus on getting the anti-theft system removed. I once bought a car with one and as soon as that alarm went off I found and pulled the fuse. Didn't want some XYZ company's product getting between me and my car.

I'd try getting to the XYZ theft system manufacturer itself - to find out how to functionally remove it. Luck.

Or save up money for dealer service as a plan B.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 AM

The anti-theft is PATs which is embedded from the factory. Wish I could remove it.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Starting from the end of your post,, could be a SJB issue..
Fuse F218 is power distribution for both PATS and the shift interlock,, PCM power diode/relay as well..

Car won’t come out of park.. Stop lamps operating?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Thanks Haya, I have 12.3V at 2.18 and the fuse is good. There is not power to the diode so I am looking for the powersource and thinking about jumping 12V to the diode but I am afraid to fry something else. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randel

Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 PM

I didn't think about the brake lights so I checked and they are not coming on. Thanks for the lead!

Old 01-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Check the brake pedal switch in Run/Start,, VT wire is input to the switch from the SJB and shared with the other components. Sounds like there’s a power distribution drop out on 2.18
Adding 12v to the pedal switch (VT) would be a quick alternate to the Diode..

Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 PM

I can't get my hand in the area to add 12V to the brake switch plug so I checked continuity between 2.18 and the diode. One side of the diode showed Open Circuit and the other leg showed 1.766 ohms of resistance. I then jumped the open leg of the diode with 12V and nothing happened. The problem is somewhere in the 2.18 circuit. Brake lights are not working. No power at the brake switch. Diode has no power. PCM relay has no power. Everything else works. Do you have a schematic or access to one for the 2.18 circuit?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

sent to your mail

Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Thanks to Haya, problem has been solved.

Turned out to be a break somewhere on the VT wire from the inside fuse box and the fuse box under the hood on behind fuse 2.18. Too much trouble to dig through the wiring harness so I ran a wire from the brown connector to the other fuse box.

Quick Reply: Anti-theft system help needed