Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

A/C Not Working Well At Slower Speeds Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Default A/C Not Working Well At Slower Speeds Fix

This has been a common issue for years on these. If you are having this problem I explain what is going on and just how to fix it is detail as most shop misdiagnose this as a a/c compressor failing when it is just a refrigerant flow valve or scroll valve that can be changed separately on the cheap. Take a look before you take it to a shop.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Quick question. I attached a freon service line w/gauge to the evaporator inlet service port to add/check the charge. The head pressure was around 75psi @ 85F so there appears to be freon. Turned on the engine with full cold and the head pressure lowered to 50 psi but then rose to 70 psi when warmed. No cold air flow.

Does this sound like a TXV issue like you described? I can rent a full manifold gauge set to check hi/lo pressures but wanted to see what your thoughts were about this quick look. Thanks, Steve

Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 PM

More common is the valve as described in the video txv in this system is less common failure. What happen is you will find the high side readings are low and find the low side readings are abnormally high. If I were you I would go straight for the valve as described in my video.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:50 AM

This is what I think is happening with my wife's car. Sitting still at low idle the ac blows almost warm, get going and it cools off some. I may have missed it in your video but do you have to take compressor out of the car to replace the valve?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM

Does the repair place have to remove the compressor to change this valve out? I already had the repair place tell me it was my compressor going out with exactly the issue you describe below. I will go back and have them change out this valve. I hope the evac recharge won't be too much. Does it use my refrigerant again? Thanks so much for sharing, you saved me quite a bit of money! My problem is exactly as you describe.

Originally Posted by makuloco2000
More common is the valve as described in the video txv in this system is less common failure. What happen is you will find the high side readings are low and find the low side readings are abnormally high. If I were you I would go straight for the valve as described in my video.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by worldtriad
Does the repair place have to remove the compressor to change this valve out? I already had the repair place tell me it was my compressor going out with exactly the issue you describe below. I will go back and have them change out this valve. I hope the evac recharge won't be too much. Does it use my refrigerant again? Thanks so much for sharing, you saved me quite a bit of money! My problem is exactly as you describe.
Yes they must evac the system and this should be your problem unless you have the massive leak issue. They reuse the refrigerant they sucked out the machine recycles it.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 PM

I know they have to evacuate the system, they explain that in the video. I really need to know if they have to remove the COMPRESSOR in order to change the part. I'm glad they can reuse my refrigerant, although this type is nowhere near as expensive as the old stuff was.

Originally Posted by makuloco2000
Yes they must evac the system and this should be your problem unless you have the massive leak issue. They reuse the refrigerant they sucked out the machine recycles it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Great video!
the tech in the video did say there was space to remove the valve with the compressor in car.

As was mentioned; this is only for ford models using scroll type compressors.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Thanks, since first viewing the video, I have been unable to get it to play again to see exactly what it said about if the compressor could stay in the vehicle. It keeps saying it's a private video, even if I am logged into here or Youtube. I was trying to show my tech so I could get a quote on the repair.

Originally Posted by primem
Great video!
the tech in the video did say there was space to remove the valve with the compressor in car.

As was mentioned; this is only for ford models using scroll type compressors.