Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD - Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Default Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD - Suspension

I just replaced the front and rear suspension on my car. With the rear suspension I only replaced the coil and the shock piece. I did not replace the upper mount due to the fact that I would’ve had to drop the whole rear end to even fit the whole assembly into its spot.

When replacing the rear, I noticed that the rear suspension part is completely different from the old suspension part. The old suspension appeared to be more beefier compared to the new one. Has anyone else noticed this issue before?

I replaced the front suspension maybe 2 years ago and I noticed that when I would turn it would make a clunking noise hence why I replaced them again with the same exact suspension parts. Comparing the same exact parts together, old vs. new, the new suspension seemed to be 1” taller than the old. Why? They are the same exact parts.

After taking it for a drive and getting the wheels aligned my rear suspension appears to be sagging a lot more than what it was before. Any reasons as to why?

I plan to pull a 550 pound trailer loaded with a 240 pound dirtbike on it eventually and I want to have these issues figured out before doing so.

Thank you for the help!

Front Suspension Part Number: Monroe 172613, Monroe 172612
Rear Suspension Part Number: FCS1345453L, FCS1345453R

Before driving the car after installing suspension.

After driving the car after installing suspension.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Swice
I just replaced the front and rear suspension on my car. ...

When replacing the rear, I noticed that the rear suspension part is completely different from the old suspension part. The old suspension appeared to be more beefier compared to the new one. Has anyone else noticed this issue before?

I replaced the front suspension maybe 2 years ago and I noticed that when I would turn it would make a clunking noise hence why I replaced them again with the same exact suspension parts. Comparing the same exact parts together, old vs. new, the new suspension seemed to be 1” taller than the old. Why? They are the same exact parts.

After driving the car after installing suspension.
Nice looking car! I have newer front (only) struts in my 2006 AWD; wheel well height is now 29 1/2 front and 29 1/4 rear. Your front looks taller than mine, but not noticeable to most people. Maybe measure yours; and also, your tires just look smaller - are yours 225/55/18 like mine?

Any differences betwenn suspension part length could only be answered by manufacturer - no way we would know here.

In general, our car was never a popular model, and it's 15 yrs old now. Parts availability is downhill from here on. Last month I got a notice from RockAuto that they are discontinuing some parts for my car and have components on sale.

Last edited by uhoh; 09-12-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by uhoh
Nice looking car! I have newer front (only) struts in my 2006 AWD; wheel well height is now 29 1/2 front and 29 1/4 rear. Your front looks taller than mine, but not noticeable to most people. Maybe measure yours; and also, your tires just look smaller - are yours 225/55/18 like mine?

Any differences betwenn suspension part length could only be answered by manufacturer - no way we would know here.

In general, our car was never a popular model, and it's 15 yrs old now. Parts availability is downhill from here on. Last month I got a notice from RockAuto that they are discontinuing some parts for my car and have components on sale.
Thank you! I try to keep it looking really nice. Rust spots happening on the lower quarter panels on both sides unfortunately. I’m religious about oil changes too and keeping maintenance up on it. Which probably does me more harm than good. Anyway, the right rear height is 28-1/4”, left rear is 28-1/2”, front left is 30-1/4”, front right is 30-1/2”. I assume if the front end came down an inch, it would bring up the rear end an inch?? Or is that not logical? My tire size is 225/55/18.

The rear end also howls when going about 30-40mph. No idea why but I am just about to drive her until she dies.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:36 AM

Did you get the correct parts for it
Some 500 series used a Volvo platform

Old 09-14-2021, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by frank Meo
Did you get the correct parts for it
Some 500 series used a Volvo platform
Yes, I believe so. I listed the part numbers as well as the brand above.

Here is my alignment for a reference.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Swice
(A) ... I assume if the front end came down an inch, it would bring up the rear end an inch?? Or is that not logical?

(B) The rear end also howls when going about 30-40mph. No idea why but I am just about to drive her until she dies.

(A) Doesn't work that way; there's no see-saw pivot point in the middle. If you lower the front, that's what you get.

(B) I once tried to replace the fluid/fluids in the rear, but left it unchanged when I got distracted. In your situation I'd say it's worth a shot. I've got ~243k on mine.

Last edited by uhoh; 09-15-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by uhoh
(A) Doesn't work that way; there's no see-saw pivot point in the middle. If you lower the front, that's what you get.

(B) I once tried to replace the fluid/fluids in the rear, but left it unchanged when I got distracted. In your situation I'd say it's worth a shot. I've got ~243k on mine.
(A) figured that’s not how it worked.

(B) actually did change the fluid in the rear but only the non “clutch” compartment since I know there is two. My car has 163K on her.