Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

My Thoughts on the 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Default RE: My Thoughts on the 500

I do alot of traveling in my line of work and therefore have had many different vehicles rented. I must say the Fords and Dodges were teh best. I don't like the feel of the imports, they look cheap and plain, and they surely aren't made to be thrown around. There is definitely a difference in the quality of imports to American. In my past few trips, I make a point to reserve a Ford. Edge, Taurus, 500, whatever. I like the robustness of the vehicles. They are solid and don't make noises like their foreign counterparts when running over rough roads. I bought my Ford 500 Limited AWDafter having driven them on numerous past trips. My 500 has very minor bugs...such as headlights turning on and off if left in the off position. In auto, no more problems...Trunk needing force to open after hitting the button. Other than that, I have no problems. I love the car. It has never let me down. I understand it is underpowered but I also realize it isn't a sports car. It drives smooth, feels solid, and can drive almost 400 miles on a tank of gas using the Cruise Control. Mine has all the creature comforts including the heated seats and mirrors...you can't get some of these options on a rice-burner. I will choose American and support American everychance I get. The car looks and runs great. When I bought it, I've had lots of people compliment it, and still get the occasional good word for what astunner it is.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Well my 500 has been ok, I like the style, the room front and rear, the trunk space - 3 sets of golf clubs and baggage for 4. I too would like more horse power. One issue I have as that the engine will surge under acceleration?However with just thefront wheel drive model I can get 25 mpg around town and 30-31 on the highway.Overall I like it.

Oh don't hit any deer, as it's expensive to repair. Left front fender, hood, grill, inner fender, head light...$2700.

I got 3 this year. 1 with the 500, 1 with the 78 F150, and one with a rifle. The 78 F150 cost me 350 to fix, real metel in them fenders.

See ya, Bub

Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Its alot cheaper to hunt with a rifle lol

Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Default IMHO the 500 is a great car!

I have an 05 limited and absolutely love it. There is only 1 downfall and that is the front door locks freeze open so the doors won't latch. Think the problem has been corrected. I would recommend the car to anyone. My job requires me to go on the road in all weather, and I have never had an issue, even here in Michigan where the snow can accumulate by inches per hr. I have literally plowed snow over a foot deep. (Yes, good tires) I will be looking for another 500 style car once this one is worn out.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Default I like the Ford 500/Mercury Montego.

It's 2013 ... The wife bought a new top-O-line 2007 Mercury Montego Premiere in 2007. It has 14,000 in town Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin miles on it now. So about 2,300 miles a year. That's nothing.

Comfy, quite, smooth, has lots of room that we never use, looks like every other car 'birthed' in a wind tunnel and just goes down the road doing what it's suppose to do. All the buttons and doodads still work.

Gets lousy gas mileage at 13.4 mpg according to the onboard message system. But what are you going to do? We drive it like it we have a raw egg between the adjustable gas pedal and our foot. I highly doubt the new Lincoln MKX get 45 mpg like the T.V. ads say.

I have a nagging suspicion about the transmission thanks to you guys.

Because of the transmission suspicions I'm happy with the 'Low' H.P. out put. I don't want to stress anything. I figure Ford Engineering twisted the drive train harder then I ever will.

For my money the 500/Montego gets up and scoots...but then again I like snails. I drove a 1996 VW Wasserboxer Syncro, 2200 cc, almost 300,000 miles before the heads continuously leaked coolant. Never a problem with the Syncro AWD. I drove it 40 miles to the junk yard.

I don't think Ford makes the 500/Taurus anymore...the car was just put together to get Ford by until the next generation came out. Nothing wrong with that.

If I was to do anything with the car, I'd go smaller 16 inch wheels with big fat gumball, soft riding, tall sidewall Goodyear Eagle tires.

skip.

Last edited by skip1930; 03-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Default My Mom's 2005 Five Hundred SE

Now it's 2015. My Mom passed in Feb. this year. About a couple of weeks before my younger step-brother told me to use her 500 while I was visiting. So I did. I took it out for about an hour and a half. What a nice ride! At the time I owned a 2012 Escape, and a 2009 Focus SES. I called my wife to tell her we need to buy her car. I have a bad back, so it was much better in the 500. And I am not a little person. My offer of $6000 was accepted two days before she died. We sold the Focus. A few months before my step-brother gave me his Samsung Galaxy S III. It did not have a SIM card slot. I have an AT&T GoPhone account. I could not use it as a phone. He said you have some mp3s put them on that phone. He was right! It has a great audio player. I had to use a Radio Shack FM transmitter that was bought 20 years ago. It worked perfectly! I placed the transmitter in the dash g/box. This car is about the most different car I have ever owned. It has a CVT tranny. It took about two months to find the d/stick. Somebody here gave me good instructions on how to find it. I hope I can get 250 K out of this car. Forgot, when I bought the car it had 43,300 miles.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM

So I take it no one likes this model vehicle

Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Default On the contrary!

I love the car!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Default I like it

I own a 2007 500 SEL with FWD bought it in 2011 with 50,000 miles on it. It just turned 100,000 and it does need some regular maintenance but so does any car. Changed plugs, PCV valve, EGR seal, serpentine belt and tensioner, replaced front brake pads and rotors, had Ford fix the throttle body surge for free. AC compressor went out at about 60,000 and had it replaced. I've done all the work myself except for the AC compressor. It's really a very comfortable ride. It has a lot more pickup since I changed the plugs, PCV and EGR seal. Next project is replacing the two engine mounts and the transmission mount. $40 a piece. I like the look and feel very safe. It has the side impact air bags. Overall, it's a great car for the $10,000 I paid for it back in 2011.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Default I'm 14 years late to the party!

Originally Posted by blueP71
Wow...am I the only guy who likes the Five Hundred? And I am only 22 to boot! So here is what I think of the Five Hundred:

The design is derivative, and it does closely resemble the VW Passat from two generations ago. However, I think the design is clean and attractive. There are actually quite a few Five Hundreds here in my town. And I must say, I prefer them in black with the chrome all over. The car just looks like its wearing a tuxedo. Such a handsome car.

I was a bit disappointed that Ford made it a FWD car, as opposed to RWD, but my dream Five Hundred will have the AWD option, so I am happy...if I can't have RWD, AWD will do just fine.

The engine: A warmed over Taurus Duratec in Ford's new family passenger liner? Ug. This was THE biggest disappointment in my opinion. 203 horsepower when cars from Toyota and Hyundai are now over the 230 horse mark? That's a shame. But isn't Ford supposed to be dropping a new 3.5 liter engine in that churns out 250 ponies? That sounds just right to me...I'll wait for the 3.5 Liter.

The transmission: Six speed auto or CVT...either one I'm happy!

The interior: Perhaps the best part of this car. It is simply gorgeous and roomy...and I love roomy cars. Ford nailed it on the interior with the Five Hundred.

I certainly hope Ford does not sell the Five Hundreds that are in overstock to rental companies. Ford should stick to its guns, forget about market share for a while and sell these cars for the price they want to sell them at -- this way it will keep the resale value up and hopefully the Five Hundred can retain its value like a Toyota Avalon does.

I drive a lot (14,000 miles in 6 months, from the Southern Californian desert to San Francisco) up Interstate 5, and I must say I see more and more Five Hundreds every time. That warms my soul.

I am stuck though...do I want a black Five Hundred, or a midnight blue Mercury Montego?
But, I will call this a 14 year update. I bought my 2006 Ford 500 limited new. I have to regular maintenance done, oil & filter changes, coolant flush, tranny fluid changed, etc.. I love my 06 Ford 500 with the 6-speed Asin transmission. I've had very few problems with my the car since I purchased it. I upgraded to Akebono(?) Brakes front & rear, I did have to replace the alternator, but, that may have been my fault for hooking up a battery charger/ when my battery went bad. Lesson learned, never hook up a battery booster to a new car with all the modern PC stuff. The Ford 500 has plenty of my room, the trunk is massive! My 500 limited has 6 disk cd changer, decent sound system, and since I drive my Grandkids around I like that it has a side Air bag curtain, or side air bags also. Mine is just fwd, so it has the Asin 6-speed automatic transmission, which I've heard that Asin makes a really good transmission. The V-6 3.0 is ok, it's not the most under powered car I've drove, or its not the fastest either, it does ok, but maybe I drive like a Grandpa ( Papaw) that I am. Lol

Quick Reply: My Thoughts on the 500