Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Default New Owner Questions

Just acquired a 2006 Ford 500 Limited trim option, AWD, CVT tranny, very high miles (210,000 miles).
Appreciate your help with knowledge and advice, below.

Maintenance statements by 1st owner:
* CVT tranny fluid has never been changed, although the level was checked once 'and topped off.' This is a wow for me!
* Differential fluids (guessing entire drive train fluids) have never been changed (or checked?). This is a wow for me!
* new brakes (rotors, calipers, pads - front and back) in 2017
* replaced AC compressor two or three years ago
* has seen regular engine oil and filter changes, no adding oil between changes.
* states that everything works except driver's side heated seat [am OK with that]

My question is: how often should I change tranny and differential fluids? Is it not needed, which is what prior owner implied? This tranny / drive train lube change is my main question.

The included Owners Guide tells the lubricant capacities and specs, but repeatedly refers to "the scheduled maintenance information" for when / how often. But, there is no scheduled maintenance information in the Owners Guide; not in the Table of Contents, nor the Index and I've flipped through it several times.

Need how-long-between-lubricant-change information.
Somebody with a Ford 500 or similar Ford drive train ... factory specs, or personal practice
Thanks!

Last edited by uhoh; 09-18-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:15 AM

Did you do the level check? If you did what was the colour of the fluid? It should be a bluish-green. Does the tranny shift ok? I have an '05 Five Hundred with 76K miles with the CVT. I check mine at least once a year (some may say that might be overkill). Have you tried searching on line for the Owner's manual, and there should be a maintenance schedule. I have both in my laptop. My suggestion would be to take it to a Ford dealership. Whatever you do DO NOT use. or add regular tranny fluid! A tablespoon or two will ruin it. The dealership will use the Ford CVT fluid. It won't be cheap. This is a front wheel drive vehicle. It has a fuel filter on the right side of the rear axle. I change my oil and filter every 5K. I take it to my local Ford dealer to have that done as I have arthritis in my lower back. I use the Ford 5W20 Blended Oil. There's more, but I hope what I have provided may help. Since you have 230K on your Five Hundred w/the CVT I have better hope I will get that amount of miles. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM

I don't know how I missed replying to you EmmaJean, but thanks for the info. So, at the dealer's oil change they showed me the CVT tranny fluid color and it was brown (original owner never serviced it in 210,000 miles). Dealer service guy said it wasn't too brown and said looks OK. But had the dealer perform two drain and fills anyway, immediately and at next oil change,and verified their fluid part number and blue-green color. Tranny really seems to run a little quieter down the road, work better; but the original fluid was in use till 210,000 miles!.