Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Power Seat/Pedals keeps popping fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Default Power Seat/Pedals keeps popping fuses

Any ideas where to start looking? worked fine until just the other day, then all of a sudden...nada. It kind of clicks if you hit the button (even with the maxi fuse blown) put a fuse in and Immediately pops. Just for giggles i put in a 40a and still popped it soon as i pushed it in. Ignition was off etc. not a HUGE deal b/c i'm pretty much the only driver, (cream leather seats) wife isn't allowed in there LOL.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Deadjester
Any ideas where to start looking? worked fine until just the other day, then all of a sudden...nada. It kind of clicks if you hit the button (even with the maxi fuse blown) put a fuse in and Immediately pops. Just for giggles i put in a 40a and still popped it soon as i pushed it in. Ignition was off etc. not a HUGE deal b/c i'm pretty much the only driver, (cream leather seats) wife isn't allowed in there LOL.
bump for the morning

Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Not that it makes a big diff. but what year 500? Possible chaffed/shorted wire, but I'll look at the schematics and see if it may help or give any direction. Did you check under the seat/dash for any wire issues?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Not that it makes a big diff. but what year 500? Possible chaffed/shorted wire, but I'll look at the schematics and see if it may help or give any direction. Did you check under the seat/dash for any wire issues?
thanks it's a 2006 limited awd. no haven't really gotten into it yet, just was kinda looking for a place to start suggestions. hoping it's something simple.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

So the fuse popping is 30amp position #32 fuse in the BJB?

If its blowing only this fuse with the key off and none of the switches pushed I'd suspect the Driver Seat Module.. No other fuses in the Battery Junction Box or the Smart Junction Box are blowing, correct?

Both the adjustable peddle 'and' the power seat function controls run through the Driver Seat Module. Could be an issue there if it follows the above pattern, but if not, I might look for any obvious wire issues under the seat/tracks or might even try unplugging the seat connector under the seat bottom and replace the fuse and see if it blows again. Same with the peddle motor, as well as look for any wire chafe ect. there. Good chance it could be the module if you don't see any trouble points, more so if the seat connector and peddle motor are unplugged and the fuse still blows. Without the 2 draws/loads eliminated, unless a harness problem, would point to the module.

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-30-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM

[quote=Hayapower;71481]So the fuse popping is 30amp position #32 fuse in the BJB?

If its blowing only this fuse with the key off and none of the switches pushed I'd suspect the Driver Seat Module.. No other fuses in the Battery Junction Box or the Smart Junction Box are blowing, correct?

Correct, nothing else blowing, even with the fuse blown, if you hit the seat switch or the pedal switch there's a "clicking" sound. Dunno if thats helpful or not. Is there an online parts store for ordering the seat module that you know of? i tried google and got nada.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 PM

find out anything on those schems Haya?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Was looking at your schematic to trace power distribution and loads on the 30 amp fuse.

The 30amp is power feed into the module, nothing else on that circuit/protection.. If it blows the fuse 'without' any switched load/s applied, my guess would be the module or possible a wire chaff issue..

If I remember correctly, there are a total of 3 fuses that protect/feed the module. 2 in the Battery Junction box, and one int the Smart Junction box. The one in the SJB is the feed for the relay/s coil, when the relay closes (activating a contol switch) , current passes through the 30 amp to power the peddles ans seat. If the 30 is blowing with no load applied, sounds like the module may be internally shorted.. Might try giving the harness around the module a good look'n over. Last resort, a moderate thump and a fresh fuse to see if it blows again.

The module would be a Ford only item..

Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Ok ford only item...imagine that is that module underseat or dash? gonna climb under there this weekend and check wiring for chaffs, and possibly pull it out to drop it off at the local stealership for them to order me another.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM

thank you btw for tracing that out for me much appreciated

Quick Reply: Power Seat/Pedals keeps popping fuses