Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Puddle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Default Puddle Problems

In January this year, my wife drove through a puddle and it hydraulic locked and tried to throw the #1 con rod through the case. I got it home after diagnosis and I noticed that the headlights, side lights, and internal lights were on. I figured something got wet so I disconnected the battery and left it like that.
I acquired a used engine and waited for the warmer weather to install it. fast forward to May. Engine install I now complete. I fire it up and it runs rough and has only 5 inHg vacuum. Ah ha, so I got a set of intake gaskets (o-rings), swapped them out and it helped a lot but did not fix the lack of vacuum or the slight rev fluctuation at idle. The headlight issue seemed to have gone away, so I ran it for a couple of weeks thinking as soon as pay day comes, it's a stuck EGR. Anyway, after two weeks, it ran real rough so I turned round and headed home immediately. Didn't make it so I had it towed to the dealer who indeed diagnosed a fully open stuck EGR and a burned hole in the intake manifold to the tune of $950. I replaced the intake with a used one and a new EGR. Lovely dead smooth idle and no leaks and 15inHg. Trouble is that it won't rev above 2500 rpm and it has absolutely no power under load. Cleared all the older codes (P0106, P2544, P2197, P2198) Ran it and pulled a P2197 only this time. Oh and remember the headlights issue, it's back.
Does any of this ring a bell for anyone? Seems to me as though I have to take care of the lights so it doesn't kill my battery every two minutes but I'm flummoxed as to where to start.
Thanks for any advice.