Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

replacing rear door loack actuators

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Default replacing rear door lock actuators

I've just completed the replacement of my rear lock actuator. The shop manual is lacking and even after going to the ford garage (and they were extremely helpful, but had never done one) where they brought out their copy of the shop manual and they said it was lacking.

The book time says 1.5 hr but I've been on it for days - mainly just looking at it.

for those who need to replace the unit here is the process. The part ranges in price from $20-$42 (OEM).

1. do not consider taking out the window (I did and now that's what slowed me up)

2. Remove the interior door trim.
3. Lower the window to 1/2 way down and loosen the bolt holding the window on the mechanism.
4. raise the window and tape it into position.
5. lower the track - releasing it from the glass. (this allows the metal interior panel to be removed since the window mechanism is attached to the metal panel).
6. Remove the scrivet from the plastic triangular panel at the rear of the window.
7. Remove the bolt in the door jam using a 7mm socket.
8. remove the three bolts holding the white plastic panel to the metal panel.
9. remove the bolts holding the metal interior panel to the door.
10 Disconnect the wiring.
11. Remover the three bolts holding the latch to the door.

Now that was the hard part, really just time consuming.

1. the plastic track that was disconnected by the scrivet and screw in the door sill can be jiggled around. So move it out of the way.
2. The secret to this whole thing (and never mentioned in the probably 60 pages of shop manual I read) is there is a little colored clip (probably green or yellow) that will pop open using a flat bladed screwdriver. Push the threaded 'J' rod out of the clip.
3. With some jiggling and with the plastic tract pushed out of the way the assembly comes out.
4. The actuator just snaps in (it may take a little prying but don't force it).

reinstallation.

The only thing to watch is that the 'J' rod is hanging down and you don't push it up and out of the way when you reinstall.

It's really not difficult, and the manual could be a little better.

Last edited by boag; 11-13-2016 at 06:16 PM.