Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

2008 Ford Focus dies while driving now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Default 2008 Ford Focus dies while driving now won't start

Hey guys,
Created a new account hoping some ford guys might be able to help me with this one.
I Was driving my Ford Focus SE 08 at about 30mph and it suddenly died. No stutter, no lose of acceleration it just died on me while driving. Luckily it wasn't on a busy street and I was able to get help and pushed it into a parking lot from the middle of the road.

I can turn the ignition and the engine turns and the battery is ok but it won't start.
I rented a OBD tool from autozone and it comes back with zero errors and all the sensors come back ok.
I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the ignition.
I know the engine has 4 separate spark coils for each cylinder so I'm also going to rule out a spark issue because I feel like the odds of all 4 dying at the same time is just to weird.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on? or can point me in the right direction?

If the starter went out would the car die in motion? What would cause the engine to just drop like that while driving?

Thank you so much in advance.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 PM

to run you need:
fuel
spark
compression
all delivered at the correct time.

-does the engine sound different when turning it over? Can you remove the oil fill cap and see the in the valve cover? if yes, look in there while someone cranks it over. Is the valve train moving?

-check for spark with a spark tester. the coils are most likely all fed power from one common output from the ecm. check to rule it out.

-check for fuel pressure. fuel pump running does not tell the complete story.

-if that is all good, check compression....maybe the timing jumped...compression test will verify.