Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Focus Back Wiper blade

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Default Focus Back Wiper blade

I replaced my 01 focus' back wiper blade and now its not wiping as good as the one that came with the car. I would just simply put the old one back on but my Mom threw it away. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a back blade that will wipe as good as the original i have called the dealership part dept. and they will just give us a regular 15' blade that isn't specfic for the back any ideas?

The one from the dealer worked.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Focus Back Wiper blade

Hi,

You should not replace the whole blade mechanism. That's the part with all the small moving arms. The original factory mechanism is made far better than any of the replacement types out there AND nothing is wrong with your original mechanism. The original will be made of steel where the $18 aftermarket "peice of junk" is only plastic, etc. Instead you should replace only the wiper refill. That's the rubber strip that actually touches the window and does the wiping. Yeah sure, the guy at the store will try to make you feel foolish for insisting on buying ONLY a refill but don't fall for it because you'll end up with a much better working set of wipers that way. If you're replacing the rear window wiper be sure to SAVE the 2 thin steel strips that hold the refill into th blade assembly because you will probably need these. Tom, NEVER throw away any used car part until after you've completely tested the new one. Keep it in your trunk if you have to. If you don't do this, some more essential parts wont even let you drive back to the store to get the right one and you'll have to get help.

The rear wipers are typically no longer sold in the chain autoparts stores such as Checker, Napa and Autozone. 1st measure the length of just the rubber refill on your rear wiper. Now, buy a refill that is exactly twice as long. Very carefully remove the temporary installation "keepers", the 2 thin steel strips and the retaining clip then, using a sharp razor knife, cut the refill in half.

Using your original steel pieces and the new refill half with installation "keepers", put the same assembly together and slide it into your original blade mechanism. Make sure to install one of the metal retaining clips. If you forget how any part of it goes together, just look at another wiper. When you're done you'll have great working wipers and a spare refill for the rear window. Remember, you can't buy those anymore. Joe.