Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Oil leaking it seems from everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Exclamation Oil leaking it seems from everywhere

I have an 03 focus zx5 with 2.0 zetec engine and automatic transmision. The car has 90,000 miles on it and mostly highway miles at that. Last sumer i noticed the smell of exaust or burnt oil in the car when ever we turned on the AC or Heat. So I replaced the cabin filter, then in November I noticed oil around the valve cover, replaced the valve cover gasket. And cleaned the entire engine compartment. Last week I noticed a small oil leak on the garage floor. I looked under the hood and the engine was still mostly clean except a small amount of oil (I mean scant) amount. when I got under the front of the car I noticed oil every where under that engine and the front of the car. There was a droplet by the serpentine belt side, by the front under the exaust manifold and primarily on the transmission side of the motor were there were 2 hoses going in above the transmission. there is a lot of dried up oil debris in the front of the tranny. what cmould this be?
I guess the part that pisses me off is that i have been taking it to the dealership every 5,000 miles for oil cange and other routine maintenance. I have been going to this dealer ship since the late 80's. i am sure this leak did not happen overnight.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

The valve cover gaskets on the Zetec are notorious for failure. Even when new they are terrible. Look around for a quality gasket. FelPro or something like that. I put a NAPA gasket in mine and it got most of my leaks but not all of them. The leak near the thermostat housing will eventually lead the failure of the housing. The oil will get into the housing and ruin the o-ring inside. This will cause the housing to leak and after time it will crack.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Fel Pro is good but we use the ford stuff here at the dealer and I can say the new gaskets have zero issues when installed properly. Here is how for those who have yet to change theirs. Hope it helps.