Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

synthetic vs. "regular" oil...potential prob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Default synthetic vs. "regular" oil...potential prob?

ok, i have a 2002 SVT focus. i took my car in for it's routine oil change. this time i went to jiffy lube, and they asked me if i wanted synthtic or regular. they told me that synthetic is better, so i figured they were trying to sell me. i could not remember what the manual for the car called for. so i told them to put regular in it. ever since i got my car back from them, i have had problems with the car in first and second gear. the problem being is that it acts as if i am just learning how to drive stick (I'm not), it acts like......"rrrrrRRRRR, rrrrrrRRRRR, rrrrrRRRRR" as i go no matter how carefully i change gears until i get into 3rd. how coincidental that i just got my oil changed and it started happening. the car drives different too. just different.

is it bad to put regular into a car that calls for synthetic?????

HELP!! i am so confused!!!![&o][:-][X(]

Old 07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Default RE: synthetic vs. "regular" oil...potential prob?

Your vechile should call for the use of Regular oil , if you drive your vechile NORMAL , theres really no need to spend the extra money for SYNTHETIC, its more of a prefrance type thing , like some ppl say fords are better then chevys ( you know what I mean ) As long as you change your oil on a regular basis you should have no problems , I had a 1984 Ford F250 , 5.8 liter 4 barrel that I put 360,000 miles on an never had any major engine problems with , Was running great when I sold it, An saw it 3 yrs ago still rolling down the road. .... Now never ever MIX the 2 oils together run one or the other !!!!!!! causes bad problems !!!!!!!!!, As for your engine ??? did they change your fuel filter ? , did you buy gas from a diff station then you normally do ? is your check eng, lite on ?

Old 07-26-2005, 02:49 PM

no engine light, no different gas....i didnt have them change the fuel filter, but there was no problem before. i think it's sputtering because they did the change so fast that they didn't let every last drop drain out and now there is slight mixing happening.....right? do you think if i get it changed again but have them let it drain all out for about an hour, that it'll be ok? or should i get my engine flushed?

HELP!!!!!!![:@]

Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM

I guess the question is did you have Synthetic in it before ? , A small amout of mix is not going to hurt anything. Thats normal you will get that .. What I was trying to say was dont add a quart of one oil with the other type in the engine .. The oil change should have no effect on it running , you might go back an talk to the Service Manager. Explain whats going on an see if possibly if something may have been disconnected by accident , Like IE the TECH . may have broke a vaccum hose by leaning on it putting the oil in or something like that,... Dont use the attitude that THEY messed something up. Chances are good they didnt an this just happen to occur after the oil change

Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 PM

well i think i did have synthetic before, but i dont even know if it's synthetic only. i cant look at the manual until i get back from my underway on the ship (friday). i was supposed to drive about 600 miles to go home on friday too. now i am worried. i will check with them to see if something was disconnected, i hope that's all it is. the problem is that it'll have been a week since i got the change by the time i get there. and what if my car is synthetic only? then i have big problems, right? what should i do then? get it changed ASAP?

another thing that a friend recommended was that i get fuel injection cleaner and put it in my tank. ??????
or just drain it all throughly and put the right stuff, i am so scared this will mess up my car!!

Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Nobody recommends that their car is run on synthetic , so your car wont be hurt , or damaged. Just remember what oil u got in it now ( which Iam sure after this you will ), An yea the bottle of fuel cleaner in the tank is a good idea , It will take at least a full tank of fuel run through it to do anything . ( not a bad idea to add a bottle at each oil change ), An on the time your gone they will have your mileage recorded, An see thats theres very few miles since the oil change. You can allways call them Ahead of time to just to get it verified , An get the Name of who you talked too . The day you come back might be his day off you never know . An trust me a routine oil change can never hurt a engine !!!

Old 07-26-2005, 08:05 PM

there is a reason 5w20 oil is what is recommened because that is what the newer engines are designed to use so if they have 5w20 synthetic go for it if not stick with regular oil

Old 09-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

There is your mistake, you went to Jiffy Lube. I have been to a couple different ones before, And I am not impressed with them at all. They lie to get you to pay for more stuff than what you need. For example. I replaced my airfilter a couple days before I went to get the oild changed. They come in and say i need to "Have it changed". I looked at the guy, said your full of crap since I replaced it 2 days ago. He said "oh, nevermind", and while I was waiting. I watched them go to everyone and say they needed something else done. And especially the women folk, they would tell them a million other things needed to be done.

But with synth, I always use synthetic on all my vehicles, But have put regular in after before, because of funds, and never had a problem.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Well they all cant be bad , Or they would be outta bussiness , I had a friend of my that was a Manager of one , They get auited I think every 6 months he said ,,, They found out that Most all of his free oil change cards , Had gone to Younger Single Lady's ,,, Go Figure

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM

Here is your answer! the focus you have takes 5w-20 motor oil which is a synthetic blend oil, that why you change the oil every 5,000 miles (and rotate tires at the same time) instead of 3,000 miles. The problem is that once you have had synthetic or any kind of blends in your car and put regular stuff in it the protection is broken down and causes more wear and tear on your engine. I would go to a dealer ship and have them flush the engine and put the recomended 5w20 in it. Secondly your shifting problem has nothing to do with an oil change, 2 different compartments that don't share fluids, focus' are notorious for weird tranny problems.
but my SWAG is that your engine is running rough in the low RPMs while your are trying to shift up because of the oil mix up. have the shop flush your engine, and remember 5w20 for those high compression engines in the SVT's

Quick Reply: synthetic vs. "regular" oil...potential prob?