Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar 3rd row seat latch failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Default 2004 Freestar 3rd row seat latch failure

This weekend I was driving my 2004 freestar on the interstate when I heard a thumping noise from the rear drivers side wheel well. Suddenly I heard a loud "cracking" noise. Looking in my mirror I saw something tumbling down the interstate behind me. I immediately pulled over and inspected the wheel well. What I found was a hole in the wheel well all the way through to the interior! My 3rd row seat latch completely ripped out of the vehicle. After doing some research I found out there was a recall on the van for the left 3rd row seat latch. Apparently it gets corroded and rots away. The recall is to replace the seat latch. My question is, what happens if the entire assembly rips away like that? Looking in the wheel well, everything looks really rotted. There is a piece of metal about the size of a volleyball ripped off. The passenger side looks fine.

I'm going to contact my dealership tomorrow. Does anyone know what I should expect in this situation? Will this fall under the recall? Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:47 AM

The recall work will install a curved metal brace which bolts to the floor just before the wheel well, and bolts to the top of the wheel well, thus bypassing the rusted out area. The latch is then fastened to this brace. (Hopefully you recovered the piece that fell out and salvaged the latch from it)

What they will NOT do is repair the rusted out hole. You should do that BEFORE taking it in for the recall work (would be much more difficult with that new metal brace in the way). Cut and grind the rust away. Coat edges with rust reformer and let dry. Cover hole with a piece of galvanized sheet metal and fasten with small sheet metal screws. Buy a gallon of black tar-like roofing cement and slather both sides.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 AM

The recall consists of installing two overlay panels (one on each side) in/on the wheel well. Then an additional striker bracket on the inside. Then the latch brackets are reinstalled. In your case, the missing one would be replaced. Send me your email address and I can send you the actual recall pdf file.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 06-01-2015 at 05:53 AM.