Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2006-2007 Freestar Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Default 2006-2007 Freestar Torque Converter

I am starting this thread a a place for those that own the 2006 & 2007 Freestars that were not included in the 04-05 recall. I have had the exact same failure and Ford nor NHTSA seem to care that we are at the same risk. I have spoken to lawyers, even found one firm that had the 2006 included in their class action. However, due to the recall on the 04 & 05 the class action status was denied. It is IMO that the reason was due to the fact that they were arguing warranty releated, implied etc. This is a safety issue and needs to be argued as such.
In case anyone gets a lawfirm to take on the 06-07 as a class action here is some info I found, and I would be interested in getting an 06-07 case action started. I just cannot afford to spend a couple of grand I do not have.
1st Ford was aware of the defect and even though there was "only one ambiguous, alleged minor accident involving a vehicle trailing behind the Freestar was identified, with no alleged injuries" per Ford they opened the 04 -05 recall "to avoid a protracted dispute with the agency." Clipping of the article from Insideline.com below;
http://www.insideline.com/ford/frees...t-warning.html
2004-'05 Ford Freestar, Mercury Monterey Recalled for Loss of Power Without Warning
By Anita Lienert, Correspondent | Published Jan 11, 2012
Just the Facts:
•Ford is recalling 205,896 2004-'05 Ford Freestars and Mercury Montereys because the torque converter output shaft may fail, resulting in sudden loss of power with no warning, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
•Ford will replace the torque converter on the affected vehicles.
•The recall is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2012.
WASHINGTON — Ford is recalling 205,896 2004-'05 Ford Freestars and Mercury Montereys because the torque converter output shaft may fail, resulting in sudden loss of power with no warning, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
"The torque converter output shaft may fail," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "This condition results in a sudden loss of motive power with no warning, increasing the risk of a crash."
Ford told the federal safety agency that the supplier of the torque converter manufactured converters containing a pump shaft spline that did not consistently meet the specified heat treat requirements. As a result, some of the torque converters may experience worn pump shaft splines.
NHTSA opened a probe into the issue in 2009.
"At that time, only one ambiguous, alleged minor accident involving a vehicle trailing behind the Freestar was identified, with no alleged injuries," said Ford in documentation filed with the federal government.
In 2010, Ford noted that it "continued to see a low complaint rate" and "identified one additional accident allegation, involving a vehicle trailing behind the Freestar as it coasted to a stop."
Ford said it met with NHTSA personnel on November 9, 2011 "to further discuss the investigation, the complaint rate and the lack of real-world data to support any conclusion that this subject presented an unreasonable safety risk." The automaker said it approved a recall in early January "to avoid a protracted dispute with the agency."
Ford dealers will replace the torque converter. The recall is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2012. Owners can contact Ford at (866) 436-7332.
Inside Line says: If you own a 2004-'05 Ford Freestar or Mercury Monterey, be aware that a recall is in the works.

As a safety issue IMO the following case sets precidence;
United States District Court, District of Columbia.
UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff, v. FORD MOTOR COMPANY, Defendant.
Civ. A. No. 76-29.
July 6, 1978.
United States brought action against automobile manufacturer seeking order declaring that certain model automobiles contained defect relating to motor vehicle safety and requiring manufacturer to immediately notify owners, purchasers and dealers of existence of defect and to remedy the defect free of charge. The District Court, John Lewis Smith, Jr., J., held that risk to drivers of automobiles caused by defect in windshield wiper pivot assemblies on certain model automobiles was an unreasonable risk under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, requiring automobile manufacturer to immediately notify owners, purchasers and dealers of existence of defect and remedy the defect. Judgment for plaintiff.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW * * *
8. "Motor vehicle safety" as defined by the Safety Act, means:
(T)he performance of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment in such a manner that the public is protected against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring as a result of the design, construction of performance of motor vehicles and is also protected against unreasonable risk of death or injury to persons in the event accidents do occur, and includes nonoperational safety of such vehicles. 15 U.S.C. § 1391(1).
9. The basic purpose of the Safety Act is to reduce motor vehicle accidents, injuries, and property damage.
11. Even if drivers pull to the side of the road and bring their vehicles to a stop on the shoulder they are still exposed to the risk of being struck from behind by a moving vehicle. Some drivers, unable to proceed because of loss of forward visibility, have even brought their vehicles to a stop in the middle of lanes intended for moving traffic. Having brought their vehicles to a stop, drivers imperiled by the windshield wiper failure have exited their vehicles in order to extricate themselves from the unsafe circumstances into which they have involuntarily been thrust. This too exposes them to the further risk of being struck by a moving vehicle. Vehicle collisions and attendant injuries have been associated with windshield wiper failure in the past.
For the foregoing reasons, the Court concludes that the Design Level I and Design Level II pivot assemblies contain a "defect" and that said "defect" poses an unreasonable risk within the meaning of the Safety Act.
Accordingly, finding will be entered for the plaintiff. Counsel for the government will present an appropriate order within five days.

I have filed a case with NHTSA; NHTSA CASE: 476840 in September and have seen nothing. I have also filed a complaint with Ford.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM

after receiving "time for sked maintenance & recall issue" letter from local dealer; i'm bringing my 2004 freestar in for the tq conv work.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Have there been any recent developments on this for 2006 & 2007 Freestar vehicles?

The description of "sudden loss of power" is no joke. Yesterday I was on the highway cruising along at 65 MPH just fine when suddenly it was as if someone shifted the transmission into neutral.

I managed to roll safely to the side of the road out of the flow of highway traffic and that's where I remained until the hook arrived. The van is parked in the rear lot of the local Ford dealer until I can talk to the Service Manager.

Is Ford covering repairs to 2006 & 2007 under the recall?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM

No still no change, and it seems all the laywers have dropped their cases or judges dismissed the cases for 2006 & 2007 because of the Recall for 04 & 05s. And the fact that the cases I saw were being filed under as breach of contract /loss of value vs. Failure to meet Federal Highway Safety standards by being a hazard while on the road.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Any 2006 / 2007 Freestar owners hear or know of any legal action to get our vans under the recall?

Old 10-21-2015, 02:21 PM

* BUMP *

Any new developments for 2006-2007 transmission recall?

I no longer own my '06 Freestar but I did save the receipt for work done at the Ford dealership in the hope I might be able to recover my $1,500+ loss for replacement of the faulty torque converter.