Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Advance Trac problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Default RE: Advance Trac problem

Hmmm............

This ABS module is supposed to be calibrated after being replaced. Maybe the tech was unaware of this. If it worked ok, then quit, that tells me the new module failed due to improper installation or not calibrating the module after replacement.

TSB
04-12-5

Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 AM

I found this site while trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2004 Freestar trac system (since the dealer can't.) It has been a nightmare. Last year at this time, the light went on and after three months and multiple trips to the dealer's, they still had no idea. They just kept calling me saying the problem was fixed, I would get the van, drive home and the light would reappear.

Finally, after many weeks and much inconvenience, the last time they gave the van back the light stayed off completely. That was until a few days ago. Once again, after about ten minutes of driving, “Trac Off" reappears.

What gives?

We seldom drive the van. So I don't think that this problem is caused by wear and tear.

I feel like I am back to square one again.

It’s very disappointing, this was my first new car and I really liked it when we looked at it. But now I feel like it is just one problem after another even compared to my old used cars!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Well our new 2006 Limited Freestar has about 1800 miles on it and my wife who drives it said the car went crazy on her when she was driving. I quickly determined that our Advance Trac was in fact causing uncommanded braking on dry pavement while driving straight down the road at modest speeds! We had to turn the system off using the dash switch just to drive the vehicle! Needless to say it went to the dealer for repair under warranty.

The explaination I received from the service manager now that the car is fixed is that there is a "service bulletin" on the advance trac system (ours is a very early 2006 build) and required a part replacement but was not told any details. The car now works perfect but I suspect many advance tracs out there will need this service bulletin done if this is a common enough problem for Ford to put out a service bulletin! If you suspect ANY problem with your advance trac systems make sure they fix it per the service bulletin(s) while under warranty! Best wishes.

Tom KN6VV

Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 PM

I purchased my 06 the 1st of Feb 2006. I have had no problems and am at about 13000 miles, of which 25% or more has been towing a Jayco P/U weighing in around 1600lbs. Somethings to be aware of:
1. With the advance trac engaged (normal operatation) your sensatrac is also engaged. If you throw the vehical in to a hard turn IE break the rear loose, the system will engage the breaks to the rear wheel to stop the vehical from going into a slide.
2.If you go into a corner to fast and push the nose out (ie wet road) the front brake will engage to maintain course.
3. If you are at higher speeds (above 10 or 20 mph) and the trires start to slip (like in heavy rain) and you are trying to accelerate you will feel as if the engine has lost power or not firing right (really weird feeling, had it happen towing the trailer in a down pour)
4.If you take off in the wet from stop and loose traction you will feel the engine/front end kick almost like a miss fire (particularly bad when it does it from side to side) as the brakes are applied to transfer power from one wheel to the other (snow dirving will realy show this one)
5.Last the vehical also has panic assist braking, it seems that if you are quick on the brake (and not appling hard pressure) the system engages and applies the panic assist, which with moderate pressure can lock up tires and engage ABS

Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 AM

2004 Freestar with problems with Advance Trac also. Have had into dealer 3 times and they keep telling me it is functioning normally as it should. My owner's manual says that if the trac off light comes on, there is a problem in the system. Even though the light was not on when they checked it, they said they checked the codes and nothing showed wrong. When it first started happening it was only during heavy snowfall or rainfall on roads. They said it is normal for it to go off during these extreme conditions as I would want to have control myself then????Make any sense???? Now it happens when just a slight mist in the air, no puddles on roadway or any hazardous driving conditions. I have asked to inspect but since they cannot find codes, or see the light on they will not check sensors, etc. They said bring it back when the light is on...I cannot drop what I am doing when it comes on always just to drive there. Any ideas or remedies anyone has found from their dealer?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM

T2004, Find a dealer with a knowledgeable mechanic... The Trac off light should never go on by itself. You have to turn the system off. During snow is when you want it on for the traction control. I would contact Ford directly and let them know waht the dealer is saying. Additionally, it sounds as if the is chaffed wire of exposed contact if it is that sensative to moisture.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM

[X(]Same problem with Advance Trac. Anyone with a fix. Do you suggest getting rid of van?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:22 AM

I have just experienced this problem with my 04 Freestar at 50,000 miles. Started out as only happening every now and then.Now it comes on almost immediately after starting the vehicle (before I get out of the driveway). Dealer stated I had to change the control module first and if that did not solve the problem I would need to replace master control valve (I believe the master brake cylinder). I have not done either to this point.

What I have done is added brake fluid since the level was at MIN in the storage tank. Sinceadding brake fluid the light has not come back on but I have only drove the car twice since for less than 10 miles. Makes some sense since the Trac Control is engaged using the brake system. Seems to simple to be a resolution but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM

I knew it was too good to be true. Light is back on.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Tell the dealer and Ford about your near misses and take it to the original dealer and ask for a loaner.
Then wait for them to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Advance Trac problem