Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

freestar transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Default freestar transmission

I have a 2004 Freestar and tow a pop up camper with it and have had some transmission problems and just wondering if anybody has had this problem of has heard of it. Once the transmission light came on and I was pulling our camper. I got off the next exit and turned it off and checked the fluid and it was good. When I started the van the light was off and ran fine. I took to my local Ford dealer and they could not get any code off the computer. The next time it happend was at a stop light and no camper trailer, it would not shift into third or OD. So i drove to the next gas station and turned off the van and turned it back on. Again light was off and it shifted just fine. I took to dealer and they were able to tell me that it would not shift into 3rd and 4th gear. I knew that. They did tell me that they thought it was something electronic since everytime I turned the van off and on it probly reset the computer and if it was a mech. thing that it would still be acting up.Has anyone had this problem?

thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Default RE: freestar transmission

How many miles are on the vehicle? Has the tranny fluid AND filter been replaced? There are horror stories of these failing early and of blinking lights, shifting issues and so on (Read Freestar forum on EDMONDS.COM). A tranny flush just won't do it. The filter needs to also be replaced and the pan/magnet cleaned. My 04 Limited has al kinds of crud in it when I changed the fluid and filter at 30,000 of normal highway driving. I fluid and filter change with a quality synthetic fluidMAY resolve all of your problems if no present damage has already been done to the tranny.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 PM

It has 68000 miles on it and has had a flush done and Tranny cooler installed. Dealer said there was not a filterto change but a screen. I will have to take itsomewhere else to have that done.
Thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 PM

FYI: the newer Ford trans has a fail safe mode that if the trany glithces it throws the OD light on and stays in second gear, (had my Ranger do it once, not sure why??) You mentioned that you " Had a trany Cooler installed". Original equipment or dealer add on? If dealer add on and they used an aftermarket kit make sure that you are not getting any restrictions in the line or pinches. I installed an aftermarket on a 95 W-Star and the radiator support/front frame area are similar on the F-star. I was not compfortable with rubber lines making the bends around the Rad support and built metal lines to make the turns. If it is pinching or restricted will driving it will increase your trans temp, in addition to bigger problems. This may be the problem....... Additionally, I have an '06 F-star w/ 4.2 V-6. I do not pull my Jayco 806 (1700 lbs loaded) in OD, the trans does not like it and the fuel mileage is only about 2 MPG better on flat. (on board fuel mielage average reset rolling and ran 15 miles or more on several occasions)

Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Tell your dealer to recheck their filter info. Screen types went out years ago. See my tranny flush results on my 04 Limited above.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: tomb1269

FYI: the newer Ford trans has a fail safe mode that if the trany glithces it throws the OD light on and stays in second gear, (had my Ranger do it once, not sure why??) You mentioned that you " Had a trany Cooler installed". Original equipment or dealer add on? If dealer add on and they used an aftermarket kit make sure that you are not getting any restrictions in the line or pinches. I installed an aftermarket on a 95 W-Star and the radiator support/front frame area are similar on the F-star. I was not compfortable with rubber lines making the bends around the Rad support and built metal lines to make the turns. If it is pinching or restricted will driving it will increase your trans temp, in addition to bigger problems. This may be the problem....... Additionally, I have an '06 F-star w/ 4.2 V-6. I do not pull my Jayco 806 (1700 lbs loaded) in OD, the trans does not like it and the fuel mileage is only about 2 MPG better on flat. (on board fuel mielage average reset rolling and ran 15 miles or more on several occasions)
My dad had two Windstars (95 and 98) do this. I forgot the name of the sensor but thats what cause it not shift any further than second gear. Must have been the fail safe mode that kicked in.