Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Power window switch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Default Power window switch!!!!

I'm having issues with the power window switch, sometimes work and sometimes doesn't, took the switch appart on both sides and cleaned them, everythings connected and no signs of any damage. Window works when its warm not cold lol. Drivers side always works perfect, when the passenger side does work its ok.

Interior lights on at night test. have the dome lights on and when pressing the light switch nothing dimms so no power. when the window goes up and down the moter sounds fine when it works!!

If so the switch what other Ford models use the same style? WINDSTAR does not work its a 4 button control.

I was thinking, f150, ranger, focus coupe, mustang? any help would be great!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Cj, are you certain it's the switch itself and not the motor? Reason being, I had a similar thing happen to my Dodge Caravan and to my current Freestar. In both situations replacing the switch on the door did nothing. Both problems were with the motors. Unfortunately the motors have carbon brushes that will wear with time and again unfortunately very prematurely.

If you can find someone with a Freestar who would be willing to swap out consoles for a week you can then isolate for certain if it's the console and not the motor. If the problem persists then it's the motor.

I solved both situations by physically removing the rotor out of the motor (which can be done without having to pull out the whole assembly) and cleaning the contacts on the rotor of the carbon dust will improve the situation.

So far with my Freestar it has worked flawless for over 6 months, so I suspect it was more an issue with carbon dust in the assembly causing the problem. With my Dodge it solved the problem for about another 2 or 3 months at which time no amount of cleaning would fix the problem.

Oh and both Ford and Dodge are nice to make the motor assembly NON replaceable. So in the case of my Dodge I would have had to replace the whole slide assembly a $600 CAN part to fix the problem.

Good Luck,

Stefan

Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM

WOW your amazing!!!! it was the moter cover thing!! i took it off with the three screws and the magnets in the cylinder were covered!!! i cleaned them all off and the window works better then the drivers side, ok so its a little faster, OMG my Windows fixed!! not bad for a non mechanic hahaha, thanks buddy your a life saver!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cjhutchy
WOW your amazing!!!! it was the moter cover thing!! i took it off with the three screws and the magnets in the cylinder were covered!!! i cleaned them all off and the window works better then the drivers side, ok so its a little faster, OMG my Windows fixed!! not bad for a non mechanic hahaha, thanks buddy your a life saver!!!
Happy to hear my suggestion helped solve your problem. Nothing worse then not being able to lower your window at the drive thru.

Oddly enough it's rare the door window switches fail, because they over engineer them to deal with rain, dirt, etc, but under engineer the motors themselves.