Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Torque converter replaced 4 or 5 times in 40K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Thumbs down Torque converter replaced 4 or 5 times in 40K miles?

The original torque converter expired at 97K miles. Ford installed a rebuilt transmission and converter, as I had no choice as I was going in for an Aortic valve replacement and my wife couldn't operate my F250 in the enclosed hospital garage. Subsequently in the following months the torque converted failed 4 or 5 times due to shudder, under Ford Warranty. I say 4 or 5 as I lost count, will have to recount the invoices.
In the course of events I questioned the buffoon who was the trans expert as to their repair procedure and the continual failures of the converter. Ford does have documented procedures as to replacement. After much aggravation dealing with the service manager and the buffoon over this continuing farce. I went to a local professional transmission re-builder who does all transmissions from Allisons to foreign. They are decent group as I dealt with the father with my Econolines over the years .
They did a full road test and lift inspection of the unit. In their opinion Ford had contaminated the transmission fluid during the first replacement and had probably not followed Fords instructions. In their opinion a replacement transmission should be installed and a proper flush be made of the lines, cooler etc and re-flushed with fluid prior to install of the replacement trans mission . A 2nd reputable re-builder expressed the same opinion.
Needless to say Ford did not defend the dealership or offer a solution. I tried four times asking for assistance of "Customer Service" in Detroit, the individuals there were inept at best. I also tried to contact the CEO, but he is insulated against contact with the unwashed.
One customer assistant did send me a letter of inquiry only, no offer of help. One fact I found out that the situation does come under Federal Judicial jurisdiction, due to the fact it was replaced three times. This brings the consumer protection law into play. Under the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act(P.L. 93-637) Federal Law(15 U.S.C.-23021). This gives the plaintiff specific remedies. There is a consumer law group who for a cut will file suite under the Act. Which I intend to do. So far the latest converter hasn't failed, but who knows when? Check out the Act on the web.
Ford customer service exists in name only and is an unprofessional group with sole jurisdiction in resolving complaints!
Subvet