Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Wow free star and ac

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Default Wow free star and ac

Hellooooo. New Fordie here. Been reading and browsing after I bought me one. It seems Ac issue is well known to Freestar ha? Seller claim it needs recharge so I'd checked the compressor make sure it spin so I don't have a bad compressor. Took it home charge it up. Like everyone else, that didn't fix it. Drain it over night still no pressure. It's clogged somewhere.

So, what/where majority of the related cause?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:34 AM

Just a quick rundown.

Too many people are doing the "charged it up" thing, and a bad compressor can still spin. To properly do it right, you first need to verify if the system is empty or has any charge at all. A set of gauges are needed. If the gauges show pressure, then that refrigerant needs to be recovered. If no pressure, then the system is empty. At this point, I would remove the front orifice to inspect it for debris. If there is build up of debris on the orifice, then the orifice will need replaced. If you have dual A/C, there is also a screen in the rear liquid line. It's also possible that your compressor may also be shot as that is where the debris normally comes from and will be unable to build the required HIGH side pressure needed for the system to operate properly. You will need to pull a vacuum. The max vacuum that can be pulled is 29.9 Hg. After you reach that point, continue to pull the vacuum for at least 1 hour to boil off any remaining moisture that may reside in the system. After the 1 hour mark, close everything down and ensure that the system holds the vacuum for at least 1/2 hour. At this point, you can recharge the system based on single or dual system refrigerant weight. DO NOT add refrigerant with oil or sealer as you will over charge the system and liquid lock the compressor.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Had a buddy shop vacuum and test and still clogged.
He said take it to bigger shop with a better commercial size vacuum. Firestone was closest and more reasonable. They came back with same thing, clogged. They are replacing one more thing before they jump to compressor. Cross my finger. I have a budget of $400. It's at $250.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Well, if it's "CLOGGED", then I would say that your compressor is failed (Teflon coating on pistons worn off and thru the system). To do it properly, you would need a new compressor, condenser 9as they are non-flushable due to capillary design), dryer/receiver, front orifice, rear screen filter (if dual A/C), reverse flushing of the evaporator(s)/lines and new O-Rings. Then you have to add the proper amount of oil for your system, pull a vacuum and charge.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Just got the word. Yes it needs new compressor.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 AM

Make sure the work is performed properly. If not, another compressor will be needed in short order and the new one that is short lived will not be warranted if not done properly.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Thank for your help.
Yes let's hope so. It's outs of my hand. Firestone is doing the work.
Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Make sure the work is performed properly. If not, another compressor will be needed in short order and the new one that is short lived will not be warranted if not done properly.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:26 AM

I would query them as to what work they are going to perform and then verify it WAS performed. Also ask for your old parts as you are entitled to them (used to verify what they replace). Just saying...

Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Since the compressor is spinning he's not guaranty it's the issue. Only way to know is replace the compressor which mean more $ if it doesn't work. Cross my fingers that's the issue.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 PM

the way to know is to put manifold gauges on the high and low side and monitor operating pressures.

how would you know something is clogged?What has been done to confirm this? pressure gauges would seem to be the way to go in my book....feeling for temp change in the lines may give clues.

Quick Reply: Wow free star and ac