Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

chrome pitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Default chrome pitting

Whats up guys?
i got a 94 Mustang gt 5.0 and ive been getting a flat tire almost everyday. Tire is brand new but i took it into a shop and they pulled the tire off the rim and showed me where the chrome on the rim was peeling off and in the tire. He said the chrome causes the tire to flatten?!?!? idk if its true or not. my alignment & everything else is fine that they know of. So i took it into another shop and have them grind the inside of the rim down. The next day my tire was flat AGAIN.... So idk, should i get a new rim?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM

Yes, peeling chrome or crudding aluminum in the bead area can cause a tire to leak air.

Have you removed the tire and sprayed soapy water on the tire after it's aired up and looked for bubbles?

You didn't mention if the valve stem was checked.

Around my neck of the woods, pretty much everybody applies a bead sealer after cleaning the rims mating surface. Has this been done for yours? If not, I would also try that.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Yea they coated it before and after and didnt see any bubbles. They said something about the beed sealer but didnt mentioned to me if they put it on so idk. Ever since, my tire goes flat to about 24/22. Which is better then completely flat. So I think the leak stops around 20 something. Its jus costing me a dollar a day to fill it up.

But anyways I got new rims on the way so we'll find out if it happens again. If so im thinking about my car being on a bad lean then

Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 AM

Make sure they clean any and all crud that may be on the bead of the new tires that may have come from the old rims before mounting onto the new rims.