Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Mustang questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Default Mustang questions...

Hey everyone, completely new here..So, what's up?! I have questions if anyone can throw me some answers..Here goes...

Just purchased a '93 LX Yellow 5.0, auto with 64k(not worried about the mileage)..I am taking it on as a project this winter to be my other summer ride. My Harley is gonna be Pd off.. Please let me know if I am describing things wrong..I have been doing research on engine and mods for my LX..So far this is what I have come up with..

3.73 gears, eaton posi, 2 1/2" lowering springs with subframe connectors..

I was thinking about boring out the stock 302, but not sure how much I can or am allowed to go, seeing I want to install a "1986-1993 5.0L Mustang, V-3 Si-Trim, Complete System, Satin"Vortech supercharger"..

Also, what kind of HP will I be gaining from boring out the stock engine..Also looking to add a Trick flow intake, throttle body, new heads and pistons(not sure what kind), am I gonna need an MSL ignition??

My question about this vortech is that with the Stock engine putting 225hp and the charger saying it will produce 331hp..That makes 106hp GAIN? ANother question is the picture I have attached shows a "saleen" intake..Does this come with the system, or do I get to choose my own??

Another question..Am I going to have to put a stall converter with my tranny? I am being told my rear end and tranny will be able to handle this power, but I was going to beef the tranny anyways..Please feel free to help out if you can..Thank you very much ahead of time
Name:  img-83-0-xlarge.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  61.1 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 AM

A typical bore job for a 302 will take it up to a 306, but I'm not sure how much more you can go with it. That would probably add I would guess in the neighborhood of 20-30hp with no other modifications.

The supercharger should get you about 100hp additional.

You won't need an aftermarket ignition, but with all of the other things you are adding why not do it.

For the style of super charger pictured, I believe you would supply your own inake, but not 100% on that.

With all the mods you listed (bored over, new heads, intake, super charger ignition - you may as well get a throttle body for it, too) you could potentially more than double the stock hp when it's all said and done. Your rearend should be O.K. with it, but your tranny may struggle...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Thank you for your info..So looks as though I am in the right direction..I am really excited with this build..I am just gonna put it in the shop and start on itas soon as me and a buddy finalize the list of parts..Thank you

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM

No problem. Good luck. Keep us posted on the progress.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Bullitt94..a couple more questions..I have been looking over Trick Flow..They make a ""Trick Flow® 350 HP Twisted Wedge® Top-End Engine Kits for Ford 5.0L""

Trick Flow® does the work, so you don't have to.

Trick Flow® 350 HP Twisted Wedge® Top-End Engine Kits for Ford 5.0L provide dyno-proven power without the guesswork. Built around Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® Street cylinder heads, the kits include a specially matched hydraulic roller cam, StreetBurner EFI Black Powdercoated intake manifold, roller rockers, gasket kit, billet timing chain, pushrods, short valve covers, and our billet oil fill kit. Lifters not included.

So I guess out of that I still need to purchase the lifters set of 16!

Well does this mean I am going to be in need of doing the lower end if I go this route?? So if I jump from 302 to 306, add the vortech, and this top end kit am I going to have to do anything to the lower end?

Last edited by ToplessFasstFoxxBody75; 10-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM

You will not have to do anything to the lower end for this to make a big time difference in a stock 302 to the aftermarket Trick Flow kit, but if you read the fine print on the description of this equipment and its performance results you will find it was tested on a 302 that was bored over to 306.

And yes, you have to purchase lifters. >