Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Performance Chips - how do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Default Performance Chips - how do they work?

Bought an '07 Mustang V6. The car is a dream, but I think there's something up with it.
It's an automatic, but I don't hear the gears shift. My RPMs do not decrease, and so I find myself going 65 mph with 4500 RPMs, and at best I'm only getting 15 mpg - which I don't think is correct. I don't know the technical language, so please forgive me if I butcher this. I believe my car was performance chipped prior to me purchasing it. The car is revving way too high soundwise to be going the speeds it does, and I'm not hearing the engine shift gears like I do in other automatics. My gut tells me I'm stuck in first gear because I'm not hearing the transmission shift and my tachometer doesn't show the car switching into higher gears as my speed increases.

Can someone please explain to me how performance chips work? I think my car is chipped, and if so, can it be reset to stock so that I can get better gas mileage and not worry I'm going to blow out my engine in first gear at 70 mphs?

Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM

You are correct in that the car should not be running at 4500rpm's at 65mph. It should be closer to the 2500rpm range.

A performance chip overrides the original car computer settings to cause the engine to perform differently than the stock settings allow it to. On that year Mustang I believe a programmer could be used. This works like a performance chip except the person using the programmer can tell the car what types of performance characteristics they want. I'm pretty sure this includes shift points in an automatic. The car can be set back to factory settings, but I'm not sure what that would cost.

Another thing to consider is that there is an issure with the transmission that is not letting it shift out of a gear.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Default Performance Chips how do they work

I was wanting to know if anyone knows of some performance stuff to do to the Explorer Sport....I dont think there are that many things to do to it but i wanted to know what there is out there for me. Thanks for helping me out. Clay

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by kurtdaniel
K&N performance air intakes for the Ford Explorer increase horsepower
I'm pretty sure the 4.0 engine in the Explorer is the same that is in the Mustang V6. That being the case, a cold air intake and tune together would be your best bet for increased horsepower. The filter alone will help some, but not as much as with a combo tune.

Check out Bama Chips or JLT.