Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Power Window won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Default Power Window won't stop

Hey guys,

The passanger window on my 96 mustang(std. coupe) doesn't know when to stop going up if i hold down the button. It just keeps shaking when it reaches the top and the motor continues to push it upward. I was curious how the window in these models does know to stop usually. A few guys suggested that there is a switch it hits at the upper limit or that the motor stops going when the window begins to press up against the top bar in the door. Any ideas on what went wrong? Possible to fix without buying a new regulator or motor perhaps?

Thanks for the help,
Tyler

Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Default RE: Power Window won't stop

Nope , motor has a over riding clutch in it ,, needs motor

Old 08-19-2005, 05:31 PM

I didn't know they moved up automatically, I did know that the drives side moves down autolly. So my guess is one of the switches is causing the problem, stuck close in up position.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM

motor -- bet you a smiley "THINGY "[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Gots to axe plane me, how the motor keeps going up and why it dont draw enough current ot blow fuse

Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM

thanks for taking the time to post back fellas. I'll start looking for a motor at a junk yard. Also, my passanger side doesn't go up automatically, it's just when someone holds the button to put up the window, they hold it till the window stops goin up, mine just doesn't ever stop going up, just keeps trying to push. Then sometimes it won't grab to pull it down and i have to slightly push on the top for it to start moving down.

have a good one
Tyler

Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM

Okay, ramrod
If I was going to have a system that would row the windows up and down....not sure I'd want to do the up auto thing, but this is what I'd do:

I'd have a module that was connected between the switches and motors.
If you hit down or up for...lets say .2 sec, motor will move autolly to full expension.
If you hit the switch for any longer then that the motor would stop when button is released.
I have a ckt in it to read current so that when the motor reach its end the module would sense the over current and stop the motor. (this could be adjusted so that windows couldn't cause injuries)

This module would be cheap and easy to make, in fact I could make one. Why wouldn't an auto manufacture? Anyway if this where or is the case, it could be the cause of the problem

Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 AM

I've never seen a AUTO UP , window myself,,I"ve allways had to hold the button down till it stopped going up. Like you said they have the express down mode.,, An yes they are supposae to stop going up when resistance is sensed( ie a extra load ) like a kid sticking his head out the window , or the window reaching the end of it travel , This is done by the motor drive mech. They have 4-5 tapered plastic inserts that drop in a notched hub , that turn the drive gear , When pressure is applied to it ( window closed to top ) The inserts dislodge from the notches an window stops moving. ( very similar to a sprag hub set -up ), A friend of mine trying to save money when his window failed , He took it apart an screwed sheet metal screws in the notches , Holding them locked in the hub all the time-- He had the same problem, It just kept pushing the glass up after the window had bottomed out on the upper door frame, Finally breaking the window after a short time of repeated use,,, If you get a window motor repair kit , It comes with a new gear an the inserts , Cause those are what normally what fail when you hear the motor running an the window doesnt move, The inserts are not falling into place to lock up the drive gear, Usually there egg shaped from use ,, Same problem hes having with the other window where he says he has to push down on it . Hes putting pressure on the hub, an as the gear turns the Notches are Dropping in locking it in place , An then they pop back out again, This will only work for a short time as its just creating more wear on the plastic parts ... Cool Idea !!!!! you going to take it to market ?????

Old 08-24-2005, 02:56 AM

messed up that last bit,,,As he pushes down he putting pressure on the hub, an its the inserts , that are dropping in the notches, locking it in place, An then they will pop back out again . ( guess Iam tired)

Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM

Hey thanks for the long post, the information should help me with my problem. Where might i find a "window motor repair kit" so i don't have to buy a new motor?

tyler

Quick Reply: Power Window won't stop