Ford Performance Other parts make up a vehicle besides 'go fast' parts... discuss and review any of your other mods here.

Jet chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Default Jet chips

How much HP would a jet performance chip add to a 1996 4.0L ohv v6

Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Jet chips

~10HPon 89 octane gas according to JET, but I dont know how accurate that is. What vehicle are you looking at chiping? A chip might be more benefical on a car with intake/exhasut bolt-ons. Let me know what you got.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM

well right now i have a stock 1996 ford explorer with a OHV 4.0L V6, i plan on putting in new exhaust a cold air intake and maybe some new headers, and i was wondering if a chip would add some good performance to it

Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Going with a new muffler, a CAI, then a chip would probably yield a solid gain. Skip the headers. I dont know if they make them for Explorer applications, but I know they made 73mm MAF housing for 4.0 Rangers(94's at least), which seems like it might add a little power when used in conjuction with other intake/exahust mods. I know the MAF for the 4.0's were really small, and the new housing cost ~$125. I saw that on summitracing.com. Also they make larger throttle bodies, but those can be pricey, but I have also heard they do add power at higher RPM's at the expense of some low end torque. If you dont want to spend the $ on a CAI for your car, get a K&N drop in filter for ~$40 and enlarge the opening in the air box with a jig saw. You will feel the differnce.

Do you have an automatic trans.? If so a shift kit of some kind would really make it feel better, the JET chip should offer some trans shift firming, but a kit would be more noticalbe.

If it were my car I would: Get a single Flowmaster 3 Chamber installed, then get a 73mm MAF housing along with a K&N filter and enlarge the opening. After that, I would look into a shift kit(if it cost too much to have installed , forget it) Then maybe a chip. Jet also make some transmission control deal, where you can contro lthe firmness of the shiftsd with a push of a button. Look on their website for applications.

Also do not forget the basics: fuel filter, tire pressure, igntion plugs and wires, etc.

Here the link fo the trans control, whick would eliminate the need for the shift kit:
http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?...;make=25#parts

Heres a link to the MAF, it says its for 91-94 Rangers/Explorers ,but it may work, contact the companies tech line to make sure: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4924760+400107

Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 AM

lol im not really a care person so i dont know alot of waht you were saying except for chip and CIA can you send me the link to the flowmasters your talking about

Old 10-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Flowmaster 3 Chamber(50 Series): http://flowmastermufflers.com/50_delta.html

Sorry if I was rambling, but if you go with a muffler, CAI, and chip you will definitely pick up a nice amount of power 15-20HP, I would estimiate(on 89 octane gas).

According to K&N, their CAI for yor car is worth 6HP(maxdifference over stock). Then add your FLowmaster and you will probably pick up another 5HP. The chip would be worth ~8-12 HP thoughout the RPM range. The MAF I was talking about sits right behind the air filter box on the car and clamps to the intake tube. Th housing is grey, and the senor is screwed on to the top of the housing. The senor is a black sqaure with a plug in one end. The new MAF might be worth 3+ HP at the top of the RPM range.

K&N: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2536

Jet dyno sheet: http://www.jetchip.com/pdf/dyno/ford/FordRanger4.0L.pdf

Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM

well what would give me more power just a muffle or a whole new exhaust kit, and also theres a bunch of differnt options to pick under that one and im not sure which i have to get is there a way to tell

Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 PM

On an Explorer the best thing to do would to be have an exhaust shop install the Flowmaster. That would probaly cost ~$240 max. Dont worry about the headers, not worth it. The next thing to do would be replace the catalytic converterswith a single hi-flow one(2-5HP?)

Dont worry about buying a catback exhaust or full exhaust just take it to an exhaust shop and talk with them about it. They could tell youwhat they can do and tell you what it would cost.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 AM

so just get the flowmaster 3 chamber 50 series have a shop install it and then get a high flow catalytic converter?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Yes, but talk to the exhaust shop before you buy anything. Do you know how many converters you have now? If you have 2 inline convertersthen replace that with a single hi-flo wconverter would be worth a little power, proabbly 3-5 HP and it will make it louder. If you havedual exahust to the muffler, I would leave that a lone. I dont knwo what the 96's came with, butsome 4.0 SOHC Explorers came with dul exhaust and cat, but after the muffler was a single tailpipe.

Quick Reply: Jet chips