Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

4WD Flashing Lights

Old 05-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Default 4WD Flashing Lights

So I’ve recently had issues with my 4WD system. I was working on getting my truck road ready again and completed the job; everything worked fine, even the 4WD. In the next following days all of a sudden the 4WD wouldn’t engage. I heard clicking coming from behind the switch on the dash but nothing was engaging. The lights weren’t even flashing. I thought maybe the fuses went bad so I checked all of those but they were all fine; everything was getting power but nothing was happening with the transfer case motor. I thought maybe the issue was with the GM so I went to the local junk yard and managed to find a GM with just about the same exact part number and put it in. Now I get more consistent clicking from behind the dash but even better the 4WD hi/lo lights flash when I start up and as I’m driving. This is telling me something else is wrong here but what could it be? I tried finding a new transfer case motor in the junk yard but they’re not the right connectors. If it’s the motor that needs to be replaced I at least want to be sure that’s the issue before I go out and buy a new one. What do you all think? A guy at advanced auto says I may need to get the GM programmed but that doesn’t make much sense to me as if the GM program memory is capable of being lost I would had to reprogram the thing every time the battery has been unhooked it died. Any advice/help is appreciated, thank you