Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

88 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Default 88 Ranger

I have and 88 Ford Ranger that wasn't running when I bought it. The problem is that the fuel pump won't come on. The signal that turns the relay on is not going low when I turn on the ignition switch. I can force it low with by grounding it and the truck will start and run. Is there a sensor that interlocks the fuel pump circuit? The EEC relay (whatever that is) is the same relay as the fuel pump and it's not turning on either. What am I missing?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Default ok this problem is easy fuel

look at the fuse link at the battery if you have it on the pos side its wrong try to ground it out . this was what was the problem on my 88 good luck

Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 PM

The "FUSE LINK" at the battery should have been a black wire and should be on the ground. The ground lead goes down along the inner fender and is spiced into a 5-wire ground pigtail. One of the leads is the main ground for the EEC which controls the injectors. Without the ground connected, the injectors will not open. Lucky the EEC didn't get fried as there are other grounds that lead to it also. Ford used the fuse link for a few years to speed up the assembly line installation.