Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Bad ECM? I'm told

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Default Bad ECM? I'm told

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger, 4.0L, 6Cylinder, 4x2WD, AT w/AC. Very difficult to start when cold.
When it does start, it cuts off about 4 times then will start and idle abt 500 RPM's. I have to keep
my foot on the accelerator or it will die out. I have replaced the EGR, Mass Air Flow Sensor, IAC Sensor,
Throttle Body Sensor and Air Filter. I have ordered a new EGR Vacuum Solenoid Valve, EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor
and PCV Valve. I have also taken off the throttle body and cleaned it..... all to no help. I'm just throwing parts
at it. Any constructive help would be appreciated. Thank you all who read this and replies.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Post Bad ECM

You might try resetting the ECM to like new condition. Similar to doing a factory reset of a phone or computer (same old parts but fresh software). My '02 Automatic transmission was stuttering in 4th gear when accelerating like a bad spark plug wire. Resetting the PCM/ECM/ECU corrected the problem. Do a year specific google search for resetting your ECM and there should be YouTube videos walking you through the process. Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Default Ecm

Originally Posted by bralenskis
You might try resetting the ECM to like new condition. Similar to doing a factory reset of a phone or computer (same old parts but fresh software). My '02 Automatic transmission was stuttering in 4th gear when accelerating like a bad spark plug wire. Resetting the PCM/ECM/ECU corrected the problem. Do a year specific google search for resetting your ECM and there should be YouTube videos walking you through the process. Good Luck.
Thank you for your information: I was reading online via Google on how to reset the ECM. Basically, disconnect the negative terminal, cover the negative terminal on the battery to prevent interruption. Take a jumper wire and clip onto the positive side of the battery and the other to the negative. Leave connected for about 10-15 minutes. This allows time for the capacitors to discharge in the ECM. Afterwards, disconnect the jumper cable, remove the cover over the negative terminal on the battery and reconnect the negative cable. Start the car/vehicle and let it come back up to normal operating temperature. That's according to several Youtube video's. I hope it works. Much thanks again.
https://itstillruns.com/reset-troubl...r-6018779.html