Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Camshaft synchronizer / camshaft position sensor issues? Being charged $500.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Default Camshaft synchronizer / camshaft position sensor issues? Being charged $500.

Hey everyone. I drive a 1995 Ford Ranger with pretty low mileage (about 97,000 miles). A few nights ago, the check engine light came on. I managed to drive home (which was a good hour or so away) while it stayed on, so I didn't suspect that the issue was too serious.

So I took it into a shop the day before yesterday. They ran diagnostics, and originally told me that this was an issue with the camshaft position sensor, and that it would cost $250 to replace. I got another call just a few minutes ago telling me that while they noticed that the camshaft synchronizer was falling apart. Now they aren't sure which was triggering the "check engine" light. I was told that if it is just the synchronizer that needs to be replaced, it would cost me $500. If it is both the synchronizer and position sensor that need to be replaced, it will cost me $600. Ugh.

Honestly, I don't know anything about either of these parts. I'm inclined to just pay since this car is my lifeline and is still in really good cosmetic shape. But seriously, the thing is probably worth at most $1,500.

Does it sound like I'm being taken for a ride here, or are these parts that actually do need replacing around 100K? Any advice people could offer would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Was there any loud 'chirping', or high pitch squealing prior to the CEL being set.. The cam synchronizers tend to run dry in the housing and shaft area and will usually make fairly distinct noises sometimes sounding like a loud belt noise.. Can come and go with engine/ambient temps. If the housing/shaft has excessive wear it could damage the sensor. Was that quote at your local Ford store?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Hey guys..RangerGirl here. New to the site.
I have an '03 ranger 3.0 V6. Intermittent chirping noises. Thought it was the belt. Noises are coming from the rear of engine.
Upon further research...it has bee suggested that the cam sensor be replaced...
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks