Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

cheap power steering fluid not a good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Default cheap power steering fluid not a good thing?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6and 4WD. I just had anew steering gear put in. In fatc, all my power steering components areless thansix month old. I found this cheap power steering fluid at Walmart, I think $1.00 a container, I think it's called Super-tech or something.

I am wondering now if this was a bad decision. Will this cheap fluid ruin or shorten the life of my steering gear components?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Default RE: cheap power steering fluid not a good thing?

It shouldn't hurt anything as it has to meet the mininmum ASE specifications. Power Steering fluid is basicallyjust expensive tranny fluid. MERCONis better andMERCON-V is even better. Or you can do like I do and change everything to AMSOIL.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Default RE: cheap power steering fluid not a good thing?

I think in my repair manual they even say to use mercon type tranny fluid for the power steering. I use to use a little tranny fluid from time to time to top the power steering fluid off on older cars back in thedaybut i just thought it was weird how they actually got it in the repair book to use str8 mercon tranny fluid as the power steering fluid all together.