Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Hard To Describe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Default Hard To Describe

Very Hard To Describe what my truck is doing but hopefully someone here has had the same experience and will have an explanation for it.

When I am in stop and go traffic every time I take my foot off the brake and start to accelerate there is like a slight hesitation. I am not referring to engine hesitation at all . It is in the driveline somewhere. It is like a half second catch up before it takes off. It feels something like the the torque of the engine is lifting the driveshaft/transmission where the transmission mount is. I also suspected a loose U joint but it does not have any sign of a clank like a U joint would normally cause or any U joint noise. There is no rear end noise either. The hesitation is noisless but it is definitely there every time.

I put it on my car ramps and crawed under and tried to find any loose U joints and I cannot find any play in them. Only thing I found was that I can push up on the back of the transmission fairly easily by hand a good inch right below the transmission mount. The rubber does not appear to be broken at all and the mount bolts are tight. Is it normal for the rubber to be that soft in the transmission mount?

Like I said , this is hard to explain. I hope someone can shed some light on it so I can possibly diagnose it myself rather than have to pay the local service depots $65.00 to $80.00 per hour depending who I take it to.

I like to do as much of my own servicing as possible. I put new rotors and pads on the front end of my truck yesterday and it was a piece of cake to do them.
W.Y.[/align]

Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Hard To Describe

Sounds like a stuck e-brake or bad motor mount. To check the motor mountyou can lift the motor an inch or twoand check. Spongy trans. mounts need replaced.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
jdm

a possiblitly is the clutch might be starting to go, a way to find out is when your idling or cruising at about 2000 rpm, stomp on the gas and see if it hooks up or if it slips, if it slips its definately the clutch

Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks JDM but I forgot to mention it is an automatic transmission.

However I got the required information already HERE

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM

William Young
My truck is also doing the same thing yours was doing. But truck is not a 4x4. It is a 2 wheel drive truck. Do you know if this work for 2 wheel drive trucks also?

thank you

Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 AM

I think I know what it is: If the truck has a two piece driveshaft it will have a slip yoke in the middle inside a boot. You'll need to unbolt the driveshaft at the differential companion flang. Remove the boot from the slip yoke and seperate the two halves of the driveshaft.Thoroughly clean the slip yoke and apply a genrous amont of Ford's teflon blue grease that you can by at a Ford Dealership. This is quite common and you'll notice the slip will be gone on start ups and quick stops when the suspension settles. Let us know.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:06 PM

well my truck's a 2 wheel drive. Do you think it could be the shaft that goes into the back of the tranny?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Whats the difference between what you describe and the good ol' fashioned carrier bearing? (besides when a carrier bearing is shot, just press a new one on) Is this a new idea to replace the carrier bearing style?