Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Head liner

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Default Head liner

How hard is it to replace?

Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Default RE: Head liner

"how hard?"

As you already know that depends on who you ask. But, from reading your intro above, I believe you are are one who can do it.

The principle is to remove existing/ clean/ purchase supplies (local trim shop), and ask their help then go after it.

We assist in this manner often in the business that I own.

The age of the baby may and probably will encourage you to want the visors covered also. You may not have the equipment for this but after getting the liner back in, enlist a local trim shop services for that. If you were in my area.....look no further.

As a side .....which engine/transmission and is it a 4x?. I am intrigued by the excellent reliability you have enjoyed. I have a high milage E150 and have had less trouble with it than my Toyota, which surprises many. Sorry......getting too verbose here.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 PM

not really hard, take the visors off and the dome light, then unsnap the plastic door trim pieces off (very care fully as to not break the plastic anchors) and then you should be able to pop off the headliner which is no more than a piece of cardboard fabric glued to it, be gentle however when pulling it out or putting it in (it doesn't bend much!)

Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 AM

Thanks Guys!

Doyle...Baby is bottom of line.. 2.3L EFI.. 2 wheel drive... uh...4 valve, dual sparks?....she is a 5 speed... I love that, both feet, both hand driving..my Grandaddy (who raised me) was a Chevy man to a fault and at a jolly old age I finally got in contact with my birth dad...who owned an exact Ford as me.... down to the color!

I have 'decorated' visors before... Shoot, all I know about cars and such is from having to do my own...took the dash (bezel) off a Dodge to get to the headlight stuff... ain't good at the tech language...talk to me about computers....I got you there...

OK, Josser, the visors and dome light I got...the door trim scares me...and is it terribly feminine to ask how to 'glue' new fabric? That is what bothers me most. How to attach new fabric...?

I am wanting to use Wally World fabric, cotton stuff....I have ...heh...big bright sunflowers or black and white cow looking stuff.. Baby doesn't care...she just wants to be pretty again...

Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 AM

my birth dad...who owned an exact Ford as me.... down to the color!
Neat story Mom, sorta in a round about way gives credence to the old saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". That must have been a reunion to definitely remember.

and is it terribly feminine to ask how to 'glue' new fabric? That is what bothers me most. How to attach new fabric...?
No, it isn't too anything or put another way if it was what is wrong with a feminine question? Not a thing. I will answer that question.

If you pursue this and are able to remove the headliner unit you will note that the material is glued to a dense paper board material. More important you will also note that the headliner material is foam backed. This is an important point as the backed foam is held to the board with high temp contact cement designed for this requirement. All this said, I would recommend that your replacement material and glue used is equivalent to what was originally used. It will yield a much nicer job and one that will hold up longer than using substitued materials and glue. I have seen alternate materials used before that didn't look good (the glue bleed through) and in some cases fell down shortly after installed. I guess that might mean opportunity to do it again (grin). Not all bad I suppose for the creative type with a flare to express themselves differently.

So, go for it and let us know how it turns out. A pic would make it very interesting.

Again, I am impressed with the service you have experienced from baby.