Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

need help with 94 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Default need help with 94 ranger

i have had a problem w/ my 94 ranger that so far NO ONE has been able to answer. it is a 2wd 2.3 reg. cap 94' ranger. i bought it for $2800. it had 120,000 mileson it. It now has 150,000 miles. it has been a really dependable truck. In 30,000 miles of drive it, i have had to replace a hearter coil, fuel pump, water pump and timing belt. nothing major.i changedeverything myself, i trust on one else! right now it has a recurrent problem, well really two..

right now, after i have drove thetruck around a while, and got the engine warmed up; if i shut the engine off. go in to astore or something, ori can even let if sit for a hour, i go to crank it and it cranks just fine. then the truck runs a little hard, and the voltage gauge goes down. (i thought it might be the alternator, i replace it, and it still does the same thing) during the summer it might do this and shut off (run hard then shut off), but it doesnt shut off all thetime. Usually itruns hard right after cranking, then works back to normal. it is reallyaggrevating.

not only that, it seems to lack power. it is a manual, so i have a little control over it.its really hard to maintain speed up hills in 4th. if i shift down to 3rd, it doesnt really speed up, just revs up and speeds up VERY little. driveing up a hill down the highwayat 65 MPH in 3rd is not good! i shouldnt have to shift down to 3rd just to maintain speed on the highway upa little incline!

ihave put on the following, and nothing has helped:

-high flow MAGNAFLOW catalytic converter
-BOSCH platinum plugs
-New fuel pump
-Replace air filter every 12,000 miles
-new timing belt (changed myself)
-new drive belt
-new alternator
-new battery
-new battery cable terminals

it seems that the first problem is electrical because of the gauge, but im not sure, and as to the power, im really dont know. is there anyone that can help me sove my two problems. the first problem is a major problem that i need fixed and so far ive had no help, can any one help me?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Default RE: need help with 94 ranger

I wonder if the voltage gauge is going down due to the fact that the engine RPM's are too low when it is running hard. It could be that you just have one problem, and that would be whatever is causing the engine to stall. The symptoms you describe sound like a timing advance issue, or the lack of.I am not sure, but I think that the cam position sensor is what is used for a reference for timing advance. I would take it to Auto Zone or some other parts store to see if they can pull a code off it. I know that Auto Zone will do this for free. Also,I would put a timing light on it to see where the timing is at. It could have jumped time by a tooth. I could be totally wrong with what I am telling you, but at least it will give you some things to check out. I hope you find out what it is and please let us know what you find. It is good info to have in the archives.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 PM

i think its the crankshaft position sensor that does the timing.when i changed the timing belt, the sensor is right behind the harmonical balancer. it uses a groove on the back of the harmonical balancer to do the timing i think. first im going to clean or replace the EGR valve. if that dont work, im going to take the timing belt off again, and time it. hey thanks for the help.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM

3 other items to check would be your AIC, MAF sensor and IAC sensor. Being a 94, I can't remember id the IAC sensor is built into the MAF or not. Good luck. Let everyone know how you make out.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 AM

on saturday, im taking of the timing belt, and im going to time it again. last time i used the timing belt cover to time it. this time, im taking out the #1 sparkplug to time top get it at TDC. Im also going to clen the EGR valve. but i really think that the timing is a tooth off thanks to enibum's advice. i asked my girlfriend's dad about the advice and asked him what it would do if it was a tooth off, and he said it wouldnt run right (MY TRUCK) and he said it will lack power (MY TRUCK). Also, it seems to idle a little low. timing it again wont hurt, heck it wont even take that long now that i know how to do it., ill let ya'll know how it goes. thanks guys.