Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

New 07 Ranger, looking to add power

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Default New 07 Ranger, looking to add power

I'm running into a few issues that i'm hoping i could get some help on. I have a 2007 Ford Ranger brand new from the factory. I am currently looking every where i can to get some upgrades going and start with simple things such as Cold Air Intake brand new exhaust, the basics to start. I'm running into a lot of problems because there aren't many parts made currently for the 07 and if they are made they only come for V6 models. Any suggestions would be great. I'm thinking about trying to use an old air intake kit for the 2.3L duratec that was in a focus. I'm unsure how this would turn out but any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Default RE: New 07 Ranger, looking to add power

I would have been easier and cheaper to have just bought a Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC engine. That would have netted you about 60 HP over your 2.3L engine. Guess you could always force feed the 2.3 with a turbo set up designed for the older OHV 2.3L engine.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Easy isn't the name of the game for me, I want unique. If i can make the 2.3 smoke a 4.0 then i'm on the road to what i want. Id like to be able to pull up next to a real truck (tuned F-150 or lightning) and not only keep up but beat. I have work cut out for me i know, i just need some help getting there. But ya know it always can be done its just about how bad ya want it. What were the size of the old turbos like specifically what kind of turbo and ****?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Well, you can check on cross referencing parts from the turbocharged 2.3L engine used in the Mazda CX7. I believe the Mazda CX7 and the Ranger both usevariations of theDuratec 23 engine. The Mazda CX7 is rated at 244HP and 258 lb-ft Torque. You'll be looking at wiring harness, computer modules, sensors, intercooler and so on. If getting parts from a Thundebird T/C, I believe the turbos used were IHI's. A garret T-03 or T-04 would be a good choice for starters.

You could always try to transplant a 3.8L out of the Thunderbird S/C into the Ranger.

However, if you really want to be radical and original with your 07, then just thow out the 2.3 and install a 460 with a C-6 tranny. Cut a 9" rear, install a locker and for some extra boost, force feed the 460 with an Eaton S/C.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Ok thats not a bad idea cross referencing the parts. I don't know what it would do, hmm Where would be the best place to start. I thought about ripping out the engine and dropping a 350 Cleveland in. What would i need to look into for such? Right now i'm pricing boring and stroking the engine, new pistons, rods, and lifters right now. So see what that comes up with. What kind of gains should i expect boring it about half way to max. Depends how much i can bore but i'm hoping i have a decent amount. Hmm Well any more suggestions would be great thx

Old 07-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Also i have a TO3/TO4E Turbo from turbonetics you think that would be able to get the job done?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM

for about 3-4 g's you can have a shop build a turbo setup for your truck... I would reccommend this if you have never put a kit in a vehicle. I know when I turbo'd my crx it was a big pain in the *** and at the end of it I would of def. paid to have someone do it. Also they tune the vehicle which is always a plus.. otherwise you'll get 3 or 4 miles down the road and melt the pistons lol

Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 PM

I'm starting some minor work now and thinking about cutting the muffler off and eliminating about 61 inches of exhaust for a simple side exhaust. I've always been taught the least amount of distance the the exhaust has to travel to escape from the piping the more power you will have but i also understand that i still require a certain amount of backpressure. The 61 inches isn't as much as you think tho, thats with all the elbows and bends and twists accounted for, does anyone see this causing potential damage or would it be fine and i know the gains aren't massive but any will do fine, also will this increase the sound the exhaust pumps out or will that stay around the same?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I finished with the exhaust and took out a massive heap of piping, i added a small side exhaust and cherry bomb to it so it reduced the amount of piping but roughly only a few pounds lighter. Now, i'm trying to rig a cold air intake and its becoming an interesting task considering how damn wierd they made the air box and airsensor, so i will let everyone know how that goes very soon.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

You could source a turbo kit made for the Focus 2.3 Duratec from FocusSport.com. The 2.3L in the MazdaSpeed3, MazdaSpeed6 and the CX-7 are different engines in a way. They are direct injected 2.3L intercooled turbo 4's. FocusSport has a intercooled turbo set up for the 2.3L and 2.0L duratecs that would probably work on yours with a little massaging. Wouldn't be a strait bolt on thing since the motors sit differently so I'm sure some of the plumbing would have to be fabricated. On a 2.0L duratec in the Focus the stage 2 kit went from 112hp stock to 222hp and that is on the wheels. I would think that with the 2.3 stage 2 kit, you should be able to squeeze about 250HP out of your truck on the wheels.

Quick Reply: New 07 Ranger, looking to add power