Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

New old truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Default New old truck

It is a 1977 Bronco frame and 302 5.0L engine, with a 1985 custom Ford Ranger body on it. Dual exhaust, headers, c4 automatic. The exhaust is...interesting, looks like pieces from different systems welded together...haha, nice shiny tips though. Basically everything was rebuilt a few years ago according to the man we got it from. Engine, front end, suspension, all the good stuff. Not really a bronco anymore...but its still one cool looking truck(or so I think). Also it has the Bronco name plate on the body...shhhh.... most people won't notice it's a ranger, but you guys can probably tell. This is my first vehicle(I am 17).

There were not many problems that we found. Most of the ones we did find were electrical and those are being taken care of. The fan blower motor was stuck, but we fixed that and now it works well. Theres no choke, but we are going to see about getting an electrical one. It needs a little body work around the common places for rust. The rear left fender is the rustiest part on the truck. There is a bit on the underside of the left door and in the door well. And then on the rear right fender there is somoe surface rust. I plan on fixing all this next summer.

There is no power steering because it was removed by the previous owner, but I have all of the parts he took out. We plan to put that back in though. The steering is also a little strange, seems like I am constantly turning the wheel to keep it straight, but it doesn't pull to any one side.

It also needs a new return spring on the carb or something. It idles high, and the spring is not strong enough to pull the pedal back after releasing it or going into park or neutral. When going into park or neutral the RPMs shoot up and the gas pedal has to be pulled back.

Pictures...

Video...

In the video the high pitched whistling noise is annoying I know. I am told it is interference with the radio from the sparkplugs? Some non resistant thing or something. But I am rewiring the stereo system this weekend so I will try to find the source of that too. I will get a video that goes into more detail soon. Also....if anyone out there has a good ear, can you tell from the video what that screetching noise is when it its about to kill and then I hit the gas? You can hear it good at around 1:20 in the video.

All in all I am very satisfied with this truck, especially considering what was paid for it, which I wont reveal. It was a steal, though, I'll say that much.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New old truck

Welcome to the site. Looks like a nice truck. The whining noise is actually from the alternator. Newer stereos usually have the circuitry to block the super imposed frequency. Or you can get a capacitor and put on the power inputs to block the frequency.

Maybe for the steering it may still need to have the front end aligned. If it is aligned, maybe the frame is not straight.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM

If anyone knows a place to purchase a hood with a scoop that will fit a 1985 Ranger...please tell me.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM

If the steering is not pulling but you have to constantly adjust it than the toe is gona be off on it. Nice little frankin stien btw. [sm=gobble.gif]